Audi 01E trans

Hi Chris,

Quick one, do you still do the drive flange for the Corvette hubs that you showed me when I was there a while back and if you do can you PM me a price.

Cheers Leon

Maybe of interest to those wanting to put 900 hp to an 01E trans :-

Audi / VW / Porsche Product Range - Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

Mr. 01E himself (Scott DeWitt) sells one with straight cut first and second gears. Sounds like a good compromise. The ratios are similar:

2.44 1.76 1.241 .882 .659 .558

I bought one from him and consider it a pretty good value for what it has although I think I heard him murmur something about way under pricing it after taking delivery. LOL

For 900hp, a bit more will need to be changed in the 01E than the gearsets, and alot of driver diligence will have to be exercised for gearbox life. Also dog engagement is not the best option for a street driven vehicle and requires periodic (expensive) maintenance of the dog teeth.

Sorry to interrupt the topic.

How much HP and TQ does a stock DQS 01E 6 speed audi 2,5 TDI transmission can take ?

The reason I am asking is that I am putting a 4,2 V8 Audi ABZ engine and the above trans into my GT40 now and I am thinking of adding a Vortech Supercharger. So I worry about the transmission now :(

What parts should I / can I buy to make it stronger?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Kind regards
Marcin

The answer to your question depends greatly on how much the abuse the trans is subject to.

With drag racing and alot of torque, I've seen the first gear erode, and with quadruple digit power, and hooning, I've seen the diff get ejected from the side of the case.

Sorry to interrupt the topic.

How much HP and TQ does a stock DQS 01E 6 speed audi 2,5 TDI transmission can take ?

The reason I am asking is that I am putting a 4,2 V8 Audi ABZ engine and the above trans into my GT40 now and I am thinking of adding a Vortech Supercharger. So I worry about the transmission now :(

What parts should I / can I buy to make it stronger?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Kind regards
Marcin

Now You got me worried seriously Scott :(

While this is going to be a street car not a drag car , I am not going to baby it.
I also wanted to do occassional track days, so an idea of transmission exploding behind me back really scares me. :(

What can I do to strengthen the 01E ?

Kind Regards
Marcin

Pat

Supporter
Scott certainly doesn't need an 016 devotee like me to defend the 01E but with the right abuse/wear pattern, you can destroy ANY box. A quick look at the DNF history of the original cars will tell you that.
A better question would be what is the value proposition of each transaxle. The Getrags provide reasonable durability for the price and with the 6th gear in the 01E boxes (or some of the rarer 016 ratios) you also get an rpm range that is very drivable.
If your thing is high horsepower drag racing, be prepared to replace whatever transaxle you buy whether you own a GT40 or a full race dragster.
I guess you could also move the engine to the front and have the first GT40 funny car. But as an illustration of my point, Funny Cars, similar to Top Fuel dragsters, do not use a transmission but rather transmit power to the huge rear slicks through a multistage clutch assembly that is activated by timers. That's a lot of fun for the 1/8 or 1/4 mile you run but a bit challenging around town.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of the Audi boxes to those from Porsche (930 / G50-52 / G50-0x / RBT-ZF / Renault / ZFQ / et al...

Personally, I selected the G50-03 and shortened it - this as a reasonably priced alternative to what I was told to be roughly as stong as a ZF..

If your thing is high horsepower drag racing, be prepared to replace whatever transaxle you buy whether you own a GT40 or a full race dragster.

Funny you mentioned drag racing where engine/clutches/axles are replaced after every 1/4 mile.

Back