CAV GT-40 Broken 01X stub axle/drive flange

Hi, I work for the Classic Car Club of Manhattan and we have a CAV GT-40. Unfortunately our car (equipped with the Audi 01X FWD 6-speed gearbox) has snapped an axle flange that goes into the transmission.

I need to find a replacement for this part yesterday, so any help is very appreciated.

Scott DeWitt and I have been in correspondence and he sent me a part that was a super close match but just slightly off. The threaded bolt holes are closer together on the audi branded part that he sent me. He mentioned to me that he thinks CAV used a custom part here. Can anyone tell me what transmission this piece is off of? Is this a completely custom one-off part?

My boss was interested in possibly upgrading to the 01E transmission and saving ourselves the trouble of finding parts for the seemingly rarer 01X transmission (that I am able to find very little info about, mostly on this forum).

This piece has 37 splines.

vKTDxNz.jpg

FdzkFxa.jpg

Wfbuy6j.jpg

uOg1Ia3.jpg

B0Ga3jV.jpg

Pictures below, on the right is the part that Scott DeWitt sent me over, an almost match, but too different to be usable.
9vHR3YD.jpg

OTxDOo9.jpg

Scotty's flange on top of the CAV flange, as you can tell, an almost match.
ha5dpBO.jpg

Begging for help in NYC. Thanks in advice guys.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Seems this is was not uncommon a decade ago but I don't know the details. I have a friend you can contact selling his trans from his CAV. He's not active here on the forum but try Mike, see below for contact info:

Mike Williams - 909-633-1156 (Californication)

He had your issue and may suggest a fix.

Also:
Search this forum for: David Briggs (also Californication) If I recall, he was making some parts or might suggest.

Or this Pantera company in SoCal: PI Motorsports 714-744-1398
(they were selling CAVs)

Hope it helps
Tim

That 01X stub appears to have been custom made as the factory flanges are cast, then machined, have heat treated rolled splines and those appear to be cut without heat treatment (probably why it snapped/stripped). Also that I know of the 01X was never put into a production car with the 108mm cv joints, most were 100 mm (the one I sent you) and 88mm tripod.

Back