CV or Just Gaitor Replacement

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Went to the Photoshoot yesterday and on the way back got a strange banging noise just as I was coming up to some services

Went in and thaught it may be the fan belt shredding but instead found a CV gaitor burst and the rubber flailing.

Removed the flailing bits and drove the last 50 - 60 miles home (Not exceeding 55mph)

So
How quick does a CV pack up with no grease - it's all over the inside of the clip?

What do I need to order up just a gaitor and grease or the CV too?

Rather not need to remove first and then order and wait for delivery - better do it all as one job

thanks
Ian

Mike Pass

Supporter
It depends on how long it has been leaking and how much grit has got in to turn it all to grinding paste. I would strip it all down and wash it out with petrol until really clean. Then check for any play and if the bearing surfaces are free of pitting and scratching. If all is spot on then the correct grease and a new gaiter and you are good. If not then bin it and fit a new one. They are not that expensive anyway.
Cheers
Mike

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
One point to note Ian

do not overpack the boots/CV joints with grease...an over abundance of grease can create a boot splitting issue.

Back