Kennedy to RBT/ZF 157t Bell Housing

Hi Guys I need some help.
I have a Kennedy bell housing to suit a 157t flywheel (pic attached). I have a 327ci Windsor (aiming for around 350hp) going to an RBT.
Will a standard dimension 157t Ford flywheel (I require 28g balance) work? I understand the clutch will not be standard due to the RBT spline size however, I would like to go generic if I can, say a McLeod flywheel and clutch package via summit racing? I have the external clutch release kit from Lloyd so I do not need a hydraulic throw-out bearing.
Does anyone on this forum have this combination or similar? Can you please share your part numbers?
Also the bell housing did not come with a sandwich plate, I think it should (to assist with alignment and provide a cover for the lower portion below the engine block). Are sandwich plates mandatory?
What starter motor fits this housing? The bolt centre's are 132.5mm (5.2165 in) Again any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
Kind regards, Gus.

Attachments

• 157t Kennedy belhsng.jpg
    157t Kennedy belhsng.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 407
Hi Guys I need some help.
I have a Kennedy bell housing to suit a 157t flywheel (pic attached). I have a 327ci Windsor (aiming for around 350hp) going to an RBT.
Will a standard dimension 157t Ford flywheel (I require 28g balance) work? I understand the clutch will not be standard due to the RBT spline size however, I would like to go generic if I can, say a McLeod flywheel and clutch package via summit racing? I have the external clutch release kit from Lloyd so I do not need a hydraulic throw-out bearing.
Does anyone on this forum have this combination or similar? Can you please share your part numbers?
Also the bell housing did not come with a sandwich plate, I think it should (to assist with alignment and provide a cover for the lower portion below the engine block). Are sandwich plates mandatory?
What starter motor fits this housing? The bolt centre's are 132.5mm (5.2165 in) Again any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
Kind regards, Gus.

Should be relatively easy to get a 28oz/157t flywheel in OZ, Try Yella Terra. You MUST use a sandwich plate if using any Ford type starter- they all use the large starter hole for correct alignment with ring gear position, the bolts on ford starters do NOT factor in alignment process. Position of ring gear as in distance from rear of block face varies with flywheels/flexplates etc- make sure the starter you choose is correct in that area.

OK, thanks Jac Mac.
I'm guessing it would be wise to purchase the flywheel and take measurements to ensure correct starter is obtained, although details like dimensions are not always available when looking on the net...

I went down this road in 2014. See the CAV 180 build thread at:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/42269-cav-180-factory-roller-2.html#post434899

There is an error on the McLeod flywheel part number, it should be 563100, minus the "S" which is the SFI rated part and not compatible with the pressure plate I called for.

The pilot bearing or bushing that has to be used with the RBT is an odd one. That is because the RBT uses the BMW M1 input shaft, not the Ford shaft used by the Pantera. So you have the SBF outside diameter, and the BMW 12 mm inside diameter. Dennis Oltoff makes these to order by pressing a 12 mm i.d. bearing into an aluminum bushing. Otherwise, you have to fab a custom Oilite bushing. Although the BMW M1 input spline is a 10 tooth, it is not a Ford 1-1/16" diameter, it is 29 mm (1-9/64"). Tech support at McLeod can help with a custom clutch disc for any diameter pressure plate. Dennis recommends the McLeod 272180R (R is the reverse hub version) in a 10.5" application. You can order from Summit, but it will be made to order.

We could not use a block plate with the Kennedy bell housing, the bell housing dimension assumes no plate. Olthoff also had to mill a step in the lower rear curve of the bell to accommodate the CAV chassis cross member. He found a SBF lower cover that works. It looks like stock Ford, I don't have the number. But 1960's Ford cars did not use a full block plate either.

Best regards,
Sam

Last edited:
I used the Tilton 54-40013 starter. It is a 3 bolt, but you just use 2 bolts with the Kennedy. There are much cheaper SBF mini starters available. But the Tilton will spin the car if you hold the motor still :thumbsup:

Sam

Thanks Chris, and Sam. Appreciate you replies.
Sam is your bellhousing like mine with no strengthening webs? I think Kennedy's has a couple of variations.
Cheers, Gus.

Sam is your bellhousing like mine with no strengthening webs? I think Kennedy's has a couple of variations.
Cheers, Gus.

Gus, it looks like yours. I have added a photo. You can see one of the 1-1/2 inch access holes that were cut for the backwards top studs. This allows removal the trans separately from the bell. Also, I notice a clearance cut on the outside of the starter bulge. This is peculiar to my installation. There is a similar cut on the bottom to clear the lower crossmember.

Best regards,
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_0067_med.jpg
    IMG_0067_med.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 473
Hi Sam,
Another question or two if I may.
Did you use the reverse hub clutch plate as in your parts list?
Billy from McLeod has recommended the same clutch minus the "R" code for me.
Has the clutch freed up any?
Thanks.

Hi Sam,
Another question or two if I may.
Did you use the reverse hub clutch plate as in your parts list?
Billy from McLeod has recommended the same clutch minus the "R" code for me.
Has the clutch freed up any?
Thanks.

Gus, yes I used the R coded clutch. That decision was per Dennis Olthoff. The reverse hub gives a little more penetration of the input shaft spline vs the regular hub. I can't tell you the regular hub won't work, but Olthoff uses the R version in his installs with the RBT.

I sent the car back to Olthoff after a one month trial and he changed the slave cylinder and also reworked the pedal linkage. He aligned the actuator shaft to the bore of the master cylinder and changed the mechanical advantage of the pedal. Result = perfection.

Best regards,
Sam

Back