Oil Leak

Hi All,

I have a bit of a problem, after a very long time building of my GT40NZ, I finally made it to the dyno for it's first dyno run. It was pretty cool to see it going after all this time.
However it ended up bleeding gearbox oil from the bottom of the bellhousing on the dyno. The faster we got in the dyno runs, the more oil was pumped out.

I'm using a Renault UN1 transaxle. Does any one have an UN1 transaxle out on a bench and tell me if there is a bung or something in the cover plate that seals the transaxle. If there is, I have a suspicion I may have forgot to install. A pic would be great of the input side of the transaxle.

Else, has anyone got any other ideas other then the input shaft seal what it might be.

Either way I know I have to take the transaxle out, however would be good to know what I stuffed up before I pull it all apart :-(

Thanks

John

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Oil travels so perhaps not leaking from where it drips!

I know there are 2 speedo take off points for the UN1 - one counts the teeth on the crownwheel and the unit thet fits to count the teath and seal can fail and oil comes out (Ask me how I know)

This is a hole on the case looking from rear right hand side above and slightly ahead of the right output flange

And when the gearbox is used a lot of oil can escape in a very short time (about a half litre in 10 miles!)

Of course if yours is the other variety and more common UN1 this will not apply

Ian

Picture as requested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 304
Hi John i have come across 2 different lenghts of input shaft tubes that take the oil seal behind the bellhousing make sure yours is not to short as the seal will not fit tight up against it causing large oil leak.
Regards Mick.

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. I removed the transaxle today and it look like Mike is correct, the tube that the input shaft sits in, appears to be about 2-3mm to short and when the bellhousing is in place there appears to be a small gap and not sealing properly.

Is the tube supposed be pressed into the bellhousing?

Cheers

John

Back