Transaxle Oil Cooler

John,

Are you planning on racing, for long periods of time? If not, you just plain don't need a gearbox cooler. Am engine oil cooler is a good idea for a car that sees even moderate track time, but tests my friends have conducted proved that gearbox temps were not an issue even on a car driven on the track for 30-minute stints.....

I agree

My experience has been around late modem FGT and Racing Mustangs.

If you first measure and document the oils temp.

It is rare you will reach 300 deg F .

Even on track days. Most run groups do not run more than a 1/2 hour at a time.

The 2005 FGT started development with a trans cooler. But the development guys took it off for production,
As your fuel tank was dry twice before the gear oil reached critical temp.:thumbsup:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I completely agree with all of the above. I have a R21 (with a 3.44 Quaife TBD) in a GTD with a 350ish HP SBF. I have run hundreds of laps of open track length sessions on the west coast tracks, many at air temps above 100F. I have never seen GRBX oil temp above 200F. I would however install a oil temp sender and see what you have. If you see GRBX oil temps >250F then revisit the question.

Or if you run at a track that uses a LOT of 5th gear at full power, like 10-20% of the lap time, then maybe you might want to run a pump like you have mentioned and return half of the oil to the 5th gear housing area and the other half to the ring gear from the top of the cases. That would be about 15-20 sec of full power pulls in 5th per lap in my car. That's a very fast track and we just don't have them out here on the west coast. A 3.89 final might be different, that's why I say install a sensor and see what you have.

I remove the oil from the drain hole and return to the ring gear and 5th.

Last edited:
John,
What has been said is true. Even the big time racers say one isn't needed. That said, I have a cooler with Tilton pump like yours, on my car(930 trans). The reason I put one on my car was because I had an oil cooler and put the cooler at the rear, filling up one of the vents. I wanted symmetry so I added the pump and cooler to the trans. I use puller fans to assist both in cooling. I routed my trans oil return to a distribution block sending the oil to each of the gears 2-4 and one to the ring and pinion through AN-4 lines.
My engine oil goes to a remote oil filter and the mounting has a spring loaded valve that opens when a set temp is reached and then splits the flow as it warms up. I added a one way valve on the return before that line joins the oil returning to the engine. That is to prevent the oil from the Accusump from forcing the oil backwards in the event of a loss of oil pressure(failure), or drop in the pressure from a high speed turn(baffled oil sump). I added a safety consideration that in the event the oil pressure dropped(failure) or dropped further after the Accusump emptied, it then cuts the power to the fuel pumps. I may reconsider that one, to cut the power to the ignition instead.
So I would say do what you want. It adds to the cool factor(more ways than one)

Bill

Back