Need Transaxle assistance

My son wants to build a car together and I have pretty much have everything ironed out except the transaxle and suspension. I have only owned 1 mid engine vehicle and I'm not really familiar with what to look for.

Ill give you an Idea of what our project will consist of. Please keep in mind that I don't have a ton of money and need to do this with respectable costs in mind. The experience will later be priceless.

We will build the body, chassis, electronics, motor and turbo kit. Goal is to keep everything around 2200 to 2500lbs.

Engine will be LSX Based with twin 60's. I am looking to make 500 to 550 reliable horsepower. I've done this on multiple occasion so I'm not worried about this, but I am not familiar with the transmission.

I know there are several options that all of you have used in the past. I am looking for something that I can get everything built around. I've heard of going Audi O1E, O16, and O1M, as well as the Porsche G50. I would like to do paddle shifters so I am looking for an Automatic. Also What is the shortest option available that can hold 500 horsepower? It doesn't have to be 500hp capable to start but have the capabilities.

Of what ever is recommended are there specific engine management systems that have to be used?

Thanks in advance for your time.

You don't necessarily need an automatic to have paddle shifters. There are a few options for paddle shifters with the use of an auto clutch.

At that power level your only real choice is an 01E, 0A2 or Porsche G series gearbox. It's been my experience the 016 is unreliable after 350-400 ft/lbs and parts availability is an issue.

The 01M is an automatic transverse 4 speed used in front wheel drive volkswagens, and is a piece of crap and you can't orient it for a mid engine type car, unless your putting power to all 4 wheels.

Thanks Scott, any idea of dimensions of those trans? I haven't heard anything of the OA2.
Are either of the O1E or 0A2 paddle shifting capable. I know this is kind of a petty requirement, but the son wants it. I think the Porsche G Gearbox is just not in the budget range right now.

Are all O1E and OA2 Transmissions the same or are there different versions of each? If so is there a specific model that I should be looking for?

I appreciate your reply, someone has already mentioned Advanced Automotion so it's nice to see your reply.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Aside from the "wow" factor, It's not hard or expensive to get an LSX very close to 500HP without the twins, which leaves a lot more $$$$ for the transaxle, and less weight. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Back