ZF 5 DS-25 from Pantera? Need help : Pic Heavy

My father who was a car guy and built his own car which he never completed. In the end dementia has taken his mind. Its sad as he was a tool and die maker and enjoyed working with his hands. He built the following from scratch by hand;

dads01.jpg

dads02.jpg

dads03.jpg

dads04.jpg

dads05.jpg

dads06.jpg

Basically it has a Chevy 350 LT1 Motor and a corvair transaxle in it. He bought a Pantera transaxle for it at least 20+ years ago with the intent or rebuilding the car with the ZF in it. But alas it just sat in the garage. My mom has sold the house and I am helping her cleanup. And here we are.

I have been doing some homework and I finally found out that the serial number and info is located on a plaque on the shifter housing. What I found there were just two rivets and no plaque. I have no idea why? In the latter years of my fathers disease he was doing some very bizarre things that we still keep on finding. Sadly its a needle in a haystack as he has 6 garages worth of accumulated stuff! I am wondering how to tell which version this on is without that plaque? Not sure whether pics will identify it or do I have to open? anyone have any ideas?

I checked a few things on the transaxle. main shaft turns smoothly and so do the outputs. The limited slip seems to be there and working. Oil i clean and clear. and it does shift.

Based on this I am wondering if anyone can help identifying it and possible what the value on this transaxle is? Any help is much appreciated

Tranny01.jpg

Tranny02.jpg

Tranny03.jpg

Tranny04.jpg

Tranny05.jpg

Tranny06.jpg

Tranny07.jpg

Tranny08.jpg

Tranny09.jpg

Tranny10.jpg

Tranny11.jpg

Tranny12.jpg

Tranny13.jpg

Ron McCall

Supporter
It is a 5 DS-25-2 . Are there any numbers stamped into top of the case right where the main case meets the rear case ? ( with the trans sitting with the diff cover in the downward position as it would be in a Pantera)

It is a 5 DS-25-2 . Are there any numbers stamped into top of the case right where the main case meets the rear case ? ( with the trans sitting with the diff cover in the downward position as it would be in a Pantera)

You mean on those two flat spots that are rounded at the rear where it looks like a number should be stamped on top? If so that was the first place I looked. I did not see any numbers there either. I carefully removed some dirt and some corrosion expecting something there. Where the numbers very shallow?

OK took a closer look and saw a large B then i cleaned that area you speak of then found a 9171 followed by a large B. Will upload a picture later.

I also did a rudimentary (hand & eyeball) drive ratio on the gears

1st - 9.5:1
2nd - 6.2:1
3rd - 4.4:1
4th - 3.5:1
5th - 3:1

this is from driveshaft to axleshafts and again this is the eyeball method.

Last edited:
Mike--that's a 5DS/25-2 gearbox, standard on the '72 and later Panteras. The extensive surface rust don't do it any favors.

First, drain the oil. The drain plug needs. 17mm Allen wrench (or standard VW/Porsche/BMW drain plug tool).

Flip it upside down and take off the bottom cover. It is held in place with a bunch of metric bolts (10mm socket) as well as a pair of long bolts through the sides. There are shims between the edge of the cover and the case--washers that the bolt passes through. Make sure you remember and respect the location of the shims. I use a magnet and carefully lift them up then fish them out with a pick to prevent dropping them inside.

Look at the ring and pinion gears. If they aren't pitted with surface rust you're in luck. If you clean it up you will probably be able to sell it for $5k or so.

If it's all rusty inside, it's basically scrap although the cases have value....

Mike

Opened it up and it looks great inside not a spec of rust or any signs of pitting from rust on the ring, pinion, carrier etc oil looks like it needed a change though but no metallic particles in it. Will upload pics later. I guess it will need a cover gasket! :laugh:

Mike

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am realistically never going to use it nor try to upgrade / let alone finish the car my dad built at this time. So I guess I will eventually sell it.

Mike

Back