First gear Disengages

I have a 2005 with 5K miles. First gear disengages when I take my foot off the throttle. I moved the swing arm (with round weight on it) and first gear does not engage further. I'm no expert but it would seen the linkage cable is in proper adjustment. However the swing arm does move up and down on the pivot point of the swing arm. Can a synchro go bad on a car that has not been driven hard and not track driven?

With the car not running/ switched off..If you select low gear, then remove the cables and try to shift it back into neutral by hand at the trans does it slide out of first easily or require a bit of initial effort... if it slides out easily its likely a detent spring is missing or collapsed. You also mention it 'feels' like its going into gear fully... Jason Ferraro had an issue with a selector sleeve bush that had moved in his Ricardo causing problems with 4th? gear IIRC, I had a quick look at my Ricardo data & Drawings, but I cannot say for certain that this could apply in your case.
Can a Synchro go bad, begets the question, does the gearbox protest/crunch when shifting from 2nd to 1st, if not your synchro is OK, but the dog ramps of low gear 'could' have taper wear in your case if its been slipping out of low gear on deceleration like this on many occasions, another possible cause could be failed or missing thrust washer on low gear.

It would be helpful to know what gearbox you have.

Ricardo- Ford GT... you gotta be a bit of a mind reader for some stuff these days:)

Was thinking about this over coffee this morning, it slips out of first on deceleration, I therefore assume that it has to have accelerated in first in order to decelerate, if is due to hard acceleration in first then snap throttle shut its asking for trouble if there is endfloat in that shaft... use the brakes to slow the car down, not the gearbox.

Last edited:
I am not using first gear to decelerate. First disengages when I just let off the throttle to shift to second.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Paul, No, but this is a GT40 forum, where a wide variety of transaxles are used in our replicas. From what I see from your posts, you have a 2005 Ford GT. This car uses a Ricardo transaxle. There is a forum out there dedicated to the GT. Here is a link to a similar problem you are having on that forum.

GT Jumping out of first gear

Or you might call RPM transmissions in Anderson, Indiana.

RPM Transmissions

Even though my Ricardo was new, I had them inspect it, as there was a problem on some of these transaxles, where a lazer weld was misaligned on some gears. I think it would be worth a call to them.

Regards Brian

Back