Shipping a transaxle

Figured this would be the best place to ask -

I have a transaxle shrink wrapped onto a pallet that I would like to ship cross-country. Who have people used for shipping? I would need the transporter to go to the pickup location, load the pallet, then drop it off at my home or a nearby depot. Would appreciate any references or advice. Thanks!

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Cam,

Firstly, I would be hesitant to ship a transaxle simply shrunk wrap to a pallet as LTL freight can get transferred between trucks a number of times. I have always used a Contico Pro-Tuff tote box for transaxle shipping;

If you can get the unit to the shipper or a commercial facility you'll save a bunch of money as residential pickups add significant cost. I have had good service/cost with Old Dominion and Yellow Roadway, at a push depending who is close to you there's also UPS Ground.

Julian

When I shipped my transaxle out for REM polishing, I made a custom wood box for it, with specific mounts to hold it in the box in the position I wanted. I also made the box with forks in mind, making it easy to lift with a fork truck, or just a pallet jack, as I knew that otherwise it would be rolled or pushed around, increasing the risk of damage.

It made the trip there and back without incident.

Perhaps the shipper could do the same, or source a box like the one mentioned above? It's a bit of work, but makes for safer transport, and also reduces the risk of theft, as the contents aren't obvious, so the temptation is reduced.

Cam,

If you're talking about a light weight transaxle like an audi/porsche then UPS will take it. Their limit for ground is 125 but they'll go a little higher. I shipped an audi 016 (120lbs inc. crate) UPS to Argentina for $140 bucks (wow!). Like Julian and Will said, best to make a container for it rather than just shrink wrap.

If you're talking about a ZF or something similar then you're going to use a freight shipping company. Ask in advance if they're drop off at a residence...sometimes they won't because of the lack of a fork lift to get it off the truck. I shipped a large V8 engine via freight about a year ago and it was almost $600 bucks to go half way across the country.

pic here of the audi prior to transit

Attachments

• Audi6.jpg
    Audi6.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 400

Pat

Supporter
When I got my custom 016 box from German Transaxle it was simply boxed and banded in a bed filled with spray foam wrapped in plastic. It made it from Bend Oregon to Orlando without a scratch. I now use the same foam in one of those plastic bins you see at the at the large retail box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot etc.) for my old (spare) transmission. I'd think that using the foam would hold up even better in a crate. I think it was UPS that shipped it to my door.

Attachments

• GTA Trans.jpg
    GTA Trans.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
I shipped my 016 to Bend Oregon last fall using a standard pallet and a household container. Bought one of those plastic storage container at the big box store, tossed the lid and put the container over the transaxle securing it with screws to the pallet. GTofA returned the trans using the same method.

Thanks guys - confirmed that it's actually in a box that is strapped to a pallet. Not sure about total weight and seller isn't enthused to get the weight so I can get estimates. Will keep plugging away!

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Try your local Ferguson plumbing center. I've been told they will truck freight almost anything to a distribution center for a reasonable charge.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Greyhound bus - I used that a number of years ago for a hood...
Also, I was just told that Fastenal also does LTL shipping reasonably..

Cam, I checked the bill of Lading for the shipment of my 016 from Phoenix to Bend Oregon. The listed weight was 220 pounds and shipping cost round trip was $771.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Cam !
It appears freight cost is all over the board. Last November, I sent out a pallet 74 X 27 X 18, that weighed 270 lbs. It had a rebuilt 12 bolt Chevy rear end on it. It went from 48838 (Michigan) to 92313 (California). It cost $260.00 to send it. Best of luck with who ever delivers for you.

Regards Brian

It was several years ago that I sent my 930 from Atlanta to California. It went air freight and cost just over $100. You should be able to get a quote on line. You have to deliver it to them for that kind of rate. They will off load it from your truck. Used a engine hoist to get it on the truck. Having it shipped to them will not be cheap. Had it mounted to a frame with only a couple of bolts and shrink wrapped as well. Did it 2 different times(interesting story).

Bill

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I moved a ZF from USA to London for a club member.
Just used UPS and got a good rate as I passed on the company discount to the person.

From memory it was about £400 all in - including the duty to get it in the UK.

It was crated and came in just under the maximum weight allowed fr a single parcel

Ian

Thanks guys! I had to step away from the thread momentarily. I'll be shipping a graziano; seller is unwilling to work with me on moving it so I'll have to find someone willing to come out and do all the lifting. Work has me mired so haven't had an opportunity to make the calls and get quotes thus far.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Cam,

Where is it located, maybe you'll get lucky and it's near a forum member who could help out?

Julian

Interesting thought. Hate to bother anyone with my issues so I'll try and work it with shipping companies first. It's in Lakewood, CO.

Cam I live in Longmont, CO which is not far from Lakewood. I can probably help you with this if you need it. I ship gearboxes all the time, as that is what I do for a living. Give me a call. (720) 899-6005 phone

Sorry I did not see this until now.

Uship.com...I did a lot of shipping as a carrier and as a shipper on there. You don't need to do crating and all that business. Most Uship carriers are small/private guys (I operated a box truck similar to a Uhaul). I picked up plenty of car parts...no crates, packages, just strapped it/secured it and went on my way. Uship is very direct...no LTL style carriers that go warehouse to warehouse, etc....it's direct, and done...plus it's generally way cheaper. If you set up a shipping auction, you'll get some crazy offers at first for big money, but just be clear what your budget is and someone will grab it. For something like that .30-.60 cents per mile would be a good target range.

Back