clutch problem

Clutch pedal stays on the floor after a few shifts.

master cylinder is full of fluid

In order to shift again , I have to pull clutch pedal up manually.

How can I fix this problem.

Thanks

David

It could be simply not enough freeboard between clutch pedal and pushrod or it may be a case of crook or wrong master cyl allowing the clutch to pump up and over extend clutch cover assy. Would help to have more info, what type of car, trans & clutch. My Telepathetic skills seem to be failing me at moment. :)

If it is not losing fluid the problem is in the master cylinder, possibly a piece of debris or incorrect assembly of the master cyl. The spring in the Master cyl should be enough to return the pedal unless there is some bind in the pedal mechanism which might be preventing the pedal from returning to the correct position which will prevent it recuperating fluid..

If there is continual fluid loss then you need to find the leak. Is it internal or external clutch slave cylinder.

Pic of pedal box assy to save you getting stuck down in the footwell.

Attachments

• 1_PEDAL_BOX03.jpg
    1_PEDAL_BOX03.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would guess slave as well. The QuarterMaster units Olthoff sells work well.

At the risk of a bit of thread drift has anyone ever pulled a McLeod TOB/ slave cyl apart to find out why they give so much trouble?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The only trouble I had with mine (twice), was the O-rings used on the fitting. They would go bad, lose any ability to apply/maintain pressure, and need to be replaced. I think McLeod eventually recognized the problem, and re-designed the way the banjo fittings connected to the cylinder.

I had the same trouble with those swivel fittings. It's been awhile since I had one apart, but I thought the fitting used split pins to hold things together. There was too much slop and the o rings would leak. Very poor design compared to Tilton or AP.

Back