Renault Un1 Albins one piece shaft + dog gear sets

Hello Gents.
I am wondering if anybody is interested in going thirds on a set of three gear sets I have ordered from Albins. Naturally I'm taking one for myself so the other two are up for grabs.....now here's the details:

Custom one piece shaft with Ford 1" 23 spline

Dog engagement hubs/sliders for custom 1-4th gears.

1st - 2.58
2nd - 1.82
3rd - 1.39
4th - 1.13

5th is STANDARD UN1 so use whatever you've got be it .89 .82 .76 etc, plus it utilities the standard 5th synchro set up. I requested this as my car is a daily driver and Albins could only offer 1.04.

All that needs to be done is have the two piece bearing halves on the input shaft machined out to suit the larger one piece shaft diametre. A no brainer for any machine shop with a brain.

This will convert into a standard UN1 with no modifcations(bar the bearing).

Price? $5,855 AUD. (I paid 5k for my one piece shaft with only 1st-2nd) so this is a real bargain....though price may go up a few hundred as they costed it without some custom washers/larger nut that are integral to the oversized one piece shaft.

They called me a week ago to confirm a few minor details and said the kits would be ready PRE Christmas!

Anyone interested send me a pm and I'll send all documentation/emails from Albins.

Cheers,
Henry.

I just re read my post, I think I forgot to mention this is a HELICAL cut dog engagement gearset...so it'll be streetable for sure.

Albins contacted me again yesterday and said they can make a better 1.40 ratio 3rd(20:28 tooth) instead of 1.39 (23:32 tooth). Apparently it'll be slightly larger and stronger due to the lower tooth count.

So if you want to change fast, like 200ms fast, then this is for you.

Hello all.

I'd just like to update this thread that I made quite some time ago....I bought and renovated a house so this project took a back step, but before it I managed to acquire the gearsets from Albins. It definitely wasn't an easy process and the lead time blew out to several years as opposed to months....but we got there.

I hate to make grandiose statements...but I think this is probably the best street/race gearset you're going to get for your UN1...I'd love to be proven wrong!

My car is predominantly a daily driver so streetability was a priority and with over 20k of city driving I'm still not sick of it. Usual dog shift rules apply which aren't really bad at all. You just have to apply a little skill.

And zero gear whine. Well, a very slight amount in 1st only due to the tooth design(optimized for strength not aural harmony).

Will fit any UN1 case with the right machining tweeks. I am no machinist and did mine with a merely a sledge hammer and crowbar ;)

I could bang on about this but if anyone is keen I'm more than happy to provide you more details/pictures to prospective buyers and a few tricks that you've probably never seen before on how to keep these things together under substantially larger torque loads.

Contact me at [email protected] for a final costing which is somewhere near my original price. I have only to sets available.

And also an almost new Quaife one piece/1st/2nd gear setup that I'm moving on if anyone is keen.

Cheers,

Henry.
IMG_3836.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG
IMG_3841.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Henry hasn't logged in since April. Read post four for his contact information.

Regards Brian

Back