016 spider gear blown

Dear,
as the title say i have destroyed the spider gear diff on my 016, so now i'm thinking to change the entire gearbox. I can find a 01e but which code i must search?
What i must change for the swap?
Thank you

Pat

Supporter
You can consider an upgrade to a limited slip diff. There are a lot of them available for the 016.

Thank you for the info. Yes i'm thinking to swap the open diff for a limited slip diff but i would like to change the ring and pinion too; i have an aaz 016 with a 3.89 (i'm not sure about the size) and the 1st gear is tooooo short. If I will mantain the 016 i will need a longer r&p kit. Albins do not have this parts... Wher I can find this kit? Regards
Rodolfo

P.S. I live in Italy ;-)

Pat

Supporter
I really don't have any info as to a European source for the 3:22. I acquired mine as part of an upgraded box from German Transaxles of America. It's been fantastic in improving the driveability of the car. When I upgraded from my old 016 (which I still have) I didn't want the bulk and unusable first gear of the 01E not to mention the installation hassles others have had. The gearset in the new box was from Albins and perhaps GTA might have some insight as to where to find another R&P. Transmission Repair Bend Oregon | German Transaxle of America

Pat

Supporter
Those are great units. Though I wonder if they are that much better than a good used Porsche 944 unit that bolts right in enough to justify the additional cost.

The 3:22 final is definitely worth it. I'd ask the fellows at GTA. They were great in answering my questions and certainly knowledgeable.

I agree with Pat. I sent my AAZ 016 to GTA in late 2015. In less than two weeks they rebuilt the trans, new 3.22 ring and pinion, new .072 fifth gear and a Wavetrac LSD. The revised gearbox transformed my CAV and greatly improved both the drivability and the top speed. The best part is that no mods were necessary to re-install the trans. I know it was difficult to find someone that could work on the 016, but I'm sure there's someone in Europe who can do it.

GTA will get you fixed up with the right R&P and they can do an LSD too. It's not super inexpensive, but it'll be done right and you'll have a good solid transaxle to work with.

There used to be a strengthening kit available for the rear cover....a hardened steel plate that replaces 1/4 inch of the rear cover. Not sure if those are still available but was a nice upgrade on a couple 016's I had.

Dear,
who can tell me how to adjust the ring and pinion? I mean, where i can find the service manual?
Thank you
R

Last edited:
Dear Scott,
do you have an image of this cheap instrument? Here in Italy there is a lot of Audi official garage. I'm still searching for the service manual.
Thank you
R

Pat

Supporter
I would contact your local Audi dealer for the "Audi-100 Workshop Service Repair Manual 5 Speed Manual Gearbox 016". They should be able to get you to the right place.

There are also several of the original service manuals available online but some want your email or a fee. They also may or may not be compatible with your computer's operating system so caveat emptor.

I've used them for other vehicles with some success. For example: Workshop Manuals, Service, Car Repair, Haynes Manuals Online Download

I obtained a factory manual for the 016 as well as a Haynes Audi manual on ebay. Having studied both manuals it became very clear that special tools and experience working on these trans was mandatory. This fact as well as a lack of knowledge of parts sourcing sent me looking for a shop to do my box. GTA in Bend Oregon was the answer.

You can do it without the tools.
I have a manual on the 01E and when you read and study what they are asking you to achieve as far as preloads are concerned.

Example.... The may ask for a .020" bearing preload, I put in or take out shims so the shaft has end float of say .020" using a dial gauge.
.020" end float means you have to take out a .040" to get .020' preload.
From memory I pit shims under the diff side cover till I had end float in the carrier.
You use the shims added and the end float to work out the preload.

Once you have the preload on the diff carrier you take out of one side and put into the other doing this you are maintaining the preload but moving the crown wheel closer to the pinion and reducing the back lash.

In the manual it shows a tool to check the back lash I made one and bolted it to the d/shaft flange.

When I was done I used bearing blue mixed with oil and painted the crown wheel.
When you rotate the assembled unit it will leave contact marks on the CW teeth, you are looking for it to be in the middle.

Hope it makes sense.

Jim

news from Italy. I have found another aaz 016 and bolted it in my cav today. Every things work exactly like the other gearbox but now i can play with the one broken. I will post pict asap. Thank you all for the info.

Back