CAV clutch issue

I got the ignition fixed so I decided to take the car out for a spin. Started it up and tried to put it in reverse but the gears were grinding. Turned it off and put it in reverse but when I cranked it with the clutch in ,it lurched rearward. The clutch was not disengaging. It has always been a short throw, especially in reverse, but has always performed fine. Any ideas on why it suddenly would do this?. It has the typical Audi slave cylinder and I have not touched the master, linkage or slave since it last was driven a couple of weeks ago. I bled the system today but it seemed to make no real difference. Thanks

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It happens on mine sometimes.
After being laid up for a while the flywheel rusts to the clutch.

So I start it in gear with my foot on the clutch and it does the lurch and then breaks the clutch free of the rust.

After that the clutch works fine.

Ian

No go on the clutch rust possibility, but I do appreciate the suggestion.
It appears that I am not getting much movement on the clutch arm, slave or master issue?

Pat

Supporter
Which box do you have? If it's an 016 you can remove the slave cylinder by knocking out the retaining pin and see if it's leaking. If the slave is getting full throw, you may have a cracked release lever. If it isn't, you may benefit from a master and slave rebuild.

Attachments

• Cracked throwout.jpg
    Cracked throwout.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 247
Gents,

I have a similar problem except my transaxle is a 930 Porsche. I've replaced the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder, bled the system several and still have the problem with reverse!

John

Hello all,
Did you check/think ... put in consideration the pilot bearing inside the crankshaft?
often forgotten when doing diagnoses.

got me once and had to remove twice the gearbox.... so i learned my lesson...

Greetings
Paul

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Chuck, How many miles are on her? On the early CAVs with ZF (RBT) transaxles there was an issue with bell housing alignment that caused hard shifting into reverse and first gears. Really important to be concentric or your pilot bearing and throw out bearing will take a beating. On the stock CAV pedals the clutch required a strong leg so I'd have a look at the clutch master cylinder pushrod too, it could be bent. You need .440 minimum to fully disengage the clutch (measured at the throw out bearing). Cheers

Thanks foe the replies, I will look into all the suggestions. I am going to put in a new slave since it it such an easy fix and check the linkage. Hopefully it is not a bell housing issue.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
This is the first time you've had this problem, right?

When you depress the clutch, does it feel normal? Are you getting movement at the clutch/pp?

I had a Fiero GT and I had the same problem pulled the motor and trans to change the clutch and I found the throwout arm was moving but it was stamped steel and cracked and folding on itself looked like it was moving shafts and it was a little but not enough

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Gents,

I have a similar problem except my transaxle is a 930 Porsche. I've replaced the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder, bled the system several and still have the problem with reverse!

John

John, I found the same issue with my 930, and found that if I shift into 1st gear, and immediately pull the lever back and push into reverse (keeping the pedal depressed throughout), my problems went away. All forward gears work fine, but only reverse gives me any problems.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Reverse is not syncro, stop gear motion by using a forward gear first then reverse. Problem solved providing the clutch is not dragging.

Back