ZF 5DS-25 specifications

Hello friends,I have a ZF Transmission,and wish to know how can be 100% sure if it belongs to a GT40. With photos from the Identification Plate and from the dissasembled transaxle can be enough to certify it?

Thank you

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Is your question regarding whether it is an original GT40 ZF, or to verify whether it has been flipped and suitable for use in a GT40?

There should be another digit after the 5DS-25, a -0, -1 or -2, unfortunately most later -2 flipped ZF's don't identify any differently, unless the person took the trouble to identify somewhere. You can verify by rotating the output shafts together in a forward motion and noting which way the axles rotate with a forward gear selected.

Hi Julian,
My request is whether it has been flipped and suitable for use in a GT40 as an Original Factory part

I have a photo from the ID Plate as shown in attachment

Thanks

Attachments

• P1100801  .jpg
    P1100801 .jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Is your question regarding whether it is an original GT40 ZF, or to verify whether it has been flipped and suitable for use in a GT40?

There should be another digit after the 5DS-25, a -0, -1 or -2, unfortunately most later -2 flipped ZF's don't identify any differently, unless the person took the trouble to identify somewhere. You can verify by rotating the output shafts together in a forward motion and noting which way[[the input shaft turns ]] with a forward gear selected.

That should be note which way the input shaft rotates. Fixed it 4U.

Hi Julian,
My request is whether it has been flipped and suitable for use in a GT40 as an Original Factory part

I have a photo from the ID Plate as shown in attachment

Thanks

I am accustomed to seeing the dataplate affixed to the shifter box cover. I know on 1980s production gearboxes, it was attached directly to the side of the case on the opposite side of the shifter, which is what you appear to show. However your tag suggests it's a first-generation gearbox. Contrary to what Julian says above, there technically was no /0 version. The original gearbox was just the 5 DS-25. The later versions were 5 DS-25/1 and 5 DS-25/2. There were several different /2 variants with wildly different specifications for the Pantera, Maserati Bora, and BMW M-1.

I believe yours is an original 5 DS-25, which would be configured to run in GT40 orientation. It is a relatively fragile thing, very rare and expensive compared to a more common later version.

What are you wanting to do with it? How about providing more photos to help us identify it positively?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
That should be note which way the input shaft rotates. Fixed it 4U.

Thanks JacMac, I knew what I meant.

As Mike says it looks to be an early ZF from the ID plate with the shorter 0.84 5th used in early variants and thus it should have the diff oriented for GT40 use.

They have a fair few other boxes listed as well. Makes you wonder if they used any of the 5DS25 bits in other boxes.
I presume that bits were developed to work in a range of boxes that they made.

Back