how to remove inner trans axle hub on zf trans

Trying to re install axle with new boots and need advice on easiest way to install it. I have full axle assembly out I just cant put it back in without the bearings falling out... advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1175 (1).jpg
    IMG_1175 (1).jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 808
I figured removing the inner hub and installing the axle with hub together would be the best way, however I cant get the hub off and don't want to try further and break it. I contacted Chris Kouba who has been a huge help in the past and done this before... he said the hub should come off easy with a good hit with a hammer... I tried it however mine is seriously stuck on. Is there any kind of set screw or key holding this om??? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

That inner cv should come off, as you are having trouble getting it off it must be a tight fit in the flange, they make them close so it centers out in the flange.

You need to get a brass or alloy drift and a fair size hammer with a little weight behind it.
Hit it on the edge of the CV joint tilting your drift outward so as you hit it drives the CV out of the flange.
You may need to rotate the flange and do it in three spots to get it to come out square.
I did notice the CV has a groove machined into the OD you could use a chisel on that edge to drive it out but it will leave marks ,so try the drift first.

Assemble the CV and boots, if it wont go in as a unit undo the upper link on one end and that will allow the suspension upright to fall outward and give you the room to put the shaft in.

As it is tight coming out you will need to use the flange bolts to pull it back into the flange.

Jim

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Vaughn,

Looking at the close up picture, there may be a lip on the trans output flange and that bearing carrier may be seated in it. Yours look slightly different than mine. Mine were positively flat and the mating surfaces were clearly visible. Yours look like the carrier slips into the output flange.

I would call Dennis (Pantera Performance) and ask if there is a lip on them. It would mean the carrier would have to move outboard along the axis of the output flange for removal.

I'll give you a call in the morning.

Chris

Back