ZF 5DS25-2 on display

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
<SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>Hello folks,<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P class=MsoNormal style=
This might be of interest for you.<o:p></o:p>
Nothing really new but nice to have a look at:<o:p></o:p>
On Friday night we had the “Long night of technology and innovations” in town which takes place every two years. https://www.friedrichshafen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/images_fn/Kultur_und_Leben/Techniknacht/Downloads/Programm_Lange_Nacht_der_Technik_2017.pdf <o:p></o:p>
(sorry only available in English)</P><o:p></o:p>
At the ZF Forum building, the new corporate Headquarter, ZF had some information about the 5DS25 on display including a cutaway model.<o:p></o:p>
>> https://www.zf.com/zfforum/en_de/microsites/zfforum/homepage_1/zfforum_1.html<o:p></o:p>

I took a few pictures……<o:p></o:p>
Markus<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• ZF01.jpg
    ZF01.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,573
  • ZF02.jpg
    ZF02.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 904
  • ZF03.jpg
    ZF03.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • ZF04.jpg
    ZF04.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 861
  • ZF05.jpg
    ZF05.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 821
  • ZF06.jpg
    ZF06.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 809
  • ZF07.jpg
    ZF07.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 903
  • ZF08.jpg
    ZF08.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • ZF09.jpg
    ZF09.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 845
  • ZF10.jpg
    ZF10.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 906
  • ZF11.jpg
    ZF11.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,470
  • ZF12.jpg
    ZF12.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,531
  • ZF13.jpg
    ZF13.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 945
I agree Doc, send it down here and I will put it to good use.

What was the main difference between the 5DS25-1 and the 5DS25-2?

Was it mainly just the bell housing face that got larger and the crown wheel that was flipped?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Are you SURE about that??

Ron
Yes,

Input shaft is ABOVE the output shaft/drive yokes. A GT40 has the input BELOW to lower the engine in the chassis. The ZF was "flipped" (as well as other changes) for the Pantera application to allow use of the standard Ford oil pan sump rather than a special unit for ground clearance (and cost!).

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Having just had my Pantera race car ZF apart, I agree.

Yes,

Input shaft is ABOVE the output shaft/drive yokes. A GT40 has the input BELOW to lower the engine in the chassis. The ZF was "flipped" (as well as other changes) for the Pantera application to allow use of the standard Ford oil pan sump rather than a special unit for ground clearance (and cost!).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ever wonder why the ZF 6 speed (S6-40) was used in the Corvette only from 89-96?
(Other than the 97 Corvette coming with an amidships transmission)

Ron McCall

Supporter
Yes,

Look a bit closer at the ring gear.
Hint...Think about which side the vent is on in a Pantera....
Ron

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter

Was it mainly just the bell housing face that got larger and the crown wheel that was flipped?

Ryan, Andy,
I'm afraid that won't work > you would loose all the oil.....:laugh:

Lloyd Butfoy has one of those factory-produced cutaway gearboxes and displays it at the SEMA show and in his shop.

The /1 and /2 gearboxes are philosophically similar but have almost no shared parts. The /2 is improved in almost every way. The case is even larger (except in length). The /1 differential is a known weak point, and it is common to install the completely different design, but fortunately same size /2 version when repairing a broken /1 unit.

hey guys
if for anyones interest..
have a refurbished 5 DS-25 (0?) for sale, not used since then, so quite new.
It was told my by ZF, due to the fact no type plate is attached, that it must have been built in the USA
sale it for best offer..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Oli - You have not been following the rules and not responding to PMs...
In the slammer you go pal.

The input shaft and gears are the main difference, All the -2 parts can be installed in a -1 case.
Bearings sizes and synco cones are also very different.

But it is NOT a "GT40" gearbox, it's upside down for that application!

I will make it a GT40 gearbox, Switch the Ring gear side, Plug a few holes, drill a few holes and change a few oil tubes.
install the correct top lid. and maybe some new drive axles.... Bingo...

Back