GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles Transaxles and driveline - don't dare post engine things here!

Old 16th July 2017, 02:43 AM   #1
Nigel Andrews
New Zealand

GT40: MK 1 Replicia
Pull clutch on windsor motorl

I have a Porsche G50 52 trans axle up to a Windsor 347 small block I'm using a pull clutch after start up and approx 50 clutch cycles the main bearing wore severely . I have been told the clutch pressure is to much ? is anyone using the same combo? Any help would be appreciated
Nigel Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 02:48 AM   #2
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Re: Pull clutch on windsor motorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Andrews View Post
I have a Porsche G50 52 trans axle up to a Windsor 347 small block I'm using a pull clutch after start up and approx 50 clutch cycles the main bearing wore severely . I have been told the clutch pressure is to much ? is anyone using the same combo? Any help would be appreciated
First off: did the main bearing thrust surface wear occur on front or rear side? , front side would indicate clutch pull pressure, rear side would indicate pressure is being exerted on crank by input shaft or other fitment issues.
Old 16th July 2017, 02:55 AM   #3
Nigel Andrews
New Zealand

Thanks for the reply it was on the front side Indicating the clutch pull ?
Old 16th July 2017, 03:26 AM   #4
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Correct, so do you have freeboard at the release bearing or is there any chance the bearing or carrier is being prevented from getting to a position where it actually has freeboard-linkage, fouling on clutch cover/plates etc?
As you may have the pan only off, you could check that the crank will move freely fwd/rwd thru the end-float range when the clutch is in the at rest engaged position, if it wont find out why.

Last edited by jac mac; 16th July 2017 at 03:43 AM.
jac mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 04:58 AM   #5
Nigel Andrews
New Zealand

Thanks I will he k that . Do you think the spring pressure could be to great .?
Old 16th July 2017, 05:51 AM   #6
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

No, I don't think that is the problem, after all Porsche cranks have thrust surfaces as well and SB Fords are fitted with clutch plates that suit from light cars to F150 trucks etc. I think you will find there is something preventing the clutch release bearing or mechanism from reaching a point of true freeboard ( in other words the clutch release bearing is loaded full time ). There have been/I've witnessed situations where the input shaft is too long and forces the c/shaft forward with similar damage on the rear thrust face to what you have, hope you have nothing more than ruined center main brgs. One other thing, the spigot/pilot bearing in the rear of crankshaft , I think some Porsche stuff use a ball bearing, Ive found that unwise, if the bearing is a tight fit on input shaft it can friction weld itself and prevent crank end float- preferably use needle roller or bronze bush. Also have you checked around front pulley area to ensure there is nothing happening up front like damper fouling on chassis or anything in that area forcing crankshaft backward.

You wouldn't have flywheel bolts that are too long would you? On SBF 8.2 block cranks they can go right thru and rub on rear face of #5 main bulkhead if your using wrong length and odd flywheel.

Last edited by jac mac; 16th July 2017 at 06:54 AM.
jac mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, pull, severely, told, windsor