Porsche Boxster Trans

Bart Roberts

Supporter
I apologize if I did not dig deep enough. I went back about 7 pages or so in this section. Why are there not more Boxster 5 or 6 speed transaxles being used. Are they weaker than the Audi?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Buying anything with Porsche name --well you automatically become a Porsche super cup sponsor :shifty:
Otherwise I believe the repairability isn't as much fun as the Audi

Bart Roberts

Supporter
Thanks. In the US, all of the "good" Audi boxes are Quattro. I don't think Audi sent 4.2l cars to the US in FWD, only quattro. A good used Boxster 5 speed is 500 bucks and a 6 speed is 1000-1200. I'm just considering options.

Thanks. In the US, all of the "good" Audi boxes are Quattro. I don't think Audi sent 4.2l cars to the US in FWD, only quattro. A good used Boxster 5 speed is 500 bucks and a 6 speed is 1000-1200. I'm just considering options.

Hi Robert,
6 speed Boxster Trans is a very good option, can you give me the source where yo can get it at this $1000-1200 price?
Thank you
Pedro

Hi Bartman
Jim is right it is longer but you can cut the mount off the rear housing with out hurting the integrity of the trans. I have one in my DRB. Tight but it fits
Cheers
Woody

Gents:

Relative to the G86-20 (Boxster S 6-speed)...the mount being referred to in the rear is not for the transaxle - it is for the exhaust. The trans mount location is mid-trans. JFYI.

I have been running one behind a 600 hp LS7 for nearly 3-years on track - holding up very well...beyond expectations really!

Also, the prices have creeped-up over the years - low mileage units from reputable shops are now between 2-4 which is nothing compared with other options (for comparable performance and strength) so it is still a great deal.

A couple of the downsides is they never came with an LSD from Porsche so my Guard unit cost 3300 installed - beyond the trans acquisition. They also have pressed gears making rebuilds very expensive - most owners are better off just replacing the entire unit. Rebuilds will cost 4-5 alone.

One other bit of info...the 5-speeds are trash (weak R&P); the six-speeds are an Audi unit that was developed for a diesel. Therefore, the reason it has proven to be so robust...it was designed for torque.

I hope this clears some of the mis-information up a bit - cheers!

PS: I have attached a picture of the OEM Mount location with our fabbed mount for our installation. The box is shorter than the a G50 (JFYI)...

Tony

Attachments

• 20160312_175803_resized_1.jpg
    20160312_175803_resized_1.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Back