cable shifter sacc restoration

has anyone any experience with this company or their cable shifter setup for a gt40
1200.00 out the door trans adapter, cable and shifter for an ERA car zftrans
lloyd

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have experience with the company and partially the product;

In my experience Scott at SACC restorations sells quality products that he has tested for fit and function and stands behind with great customer service.

I purchased a very early version of the CNC Performance ZF cable shifter adapter prior to SACC carrying the product. It was well made and functioned as designed to.

I chose to use an in cab shifter assembly from a Toyota Tercel, which is visually the same as Superformance uses (and very similar to the CNC unit), the Superformance unit mounted in a custom steel cable mount. If you are able to fabricate the Toyota unit is a cheap alternative, I got several from my local Pick & Pull at the time for $50 and passed them on here.

Input from anyone who has changed from stock Superformance to one of the SACC units would be testament to the CNC unit over the Toyota.

Julian

jULIAN Thanks for the reply. i'm looking for a plug and play solution to the shifter issues. not big on fabrication. Glad to hear the company is stand up. Their product looks to be a quality piece. was there a noticeable improvement in the shifting going from the rods to a cable shifter.. Any issues with running the cables, that is too tight of a bend where it goes thru the firewall in a LH drive car. Any idea on the length of the cables. the orientation from a pantera is upside down so the routing of cables would be considerably different
thanks for the feedback
LLoyd

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Working on a shifter myself. would like to use a single rod for the RBT 5 sp Rod ends, bell cranks and two 90 turns are possible and will make a solid shift. It works nice in my head and on paper.

Bill
one word of advice to the single rod shift. pin every joint in the system. I spent a lot of time perfecting the adjustments to shifing rods. worked great unitil the first time i drove it everything slipped just a hair enough to make shifting near impossible. I realigned all the joints again and drilled and bolted each joint. stayed perfect after that.
Still not happy with the single rod shift. I wouldn't trust speed shifing Shifting requires a concerted effort to follow the pattern, There have been several occassions when going from reverse to 1st that it doesnt quite come out of reverse and allows you to go into 1st. Now you have a locked trans, Takes some finagling to get it free,.
I'm hoping the cable shifter will feel a little more positive
LLoyd

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
jULIAN Thanks for the reply. i'm looking for a plug and play solution to the shifter issues. not big on fabrication. Glad to hear the company is stand up. Their product looks to be a quality piece. was there a noticeable improvement in the shifting going from the rods to a cable shifter.. Any issues with running the cables, that is too tight of a bend where it goes thru the firewall in a LH drive car. Any idea on the length of the cables. the orientation from a pantera is upside down so the routing of cables would be considerably different
thanks for the feedback
LLoyd

Well on my ERA I have a rod, but it's RHD, the cable conversion referenced was for an older KVA running a Porsche 901 transaxle and yes it helped in that application as the rod was like stirring soup!

Personally I have had mixed success with cable shifters, my Ultima took a lot of configurations and long time tweaking to get something that felt positive and would engage all gears, even now it is noticeably harder to shift when cold.

Julian

Thanks Julian
F or the feed back. Love the reference to the shifter to stirring soup. I would explain it as trying t o herd cats
Lloyd

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
My GTD had a G50/52 with a Kennedy Engineered Products cable shifter (made in 1995) that shifted smooth as silk and was so good that I could do a 4 gear burn out (1st, shift to 2nd... 4th) in under 4 seconds without the car moving forward 2' (no front wheel line lock). I know that cable shifters can work well but like any shifter it has to be adjusted correctly.

My RCR40 will have the SACC Restorations GT40 cable shifter and ZF trans adapter when it hits the road (already ordered, waiting for delivery, Christmas present). I am going with this unit because it is a very well engineered piece that was developed specifically for the GT40 with a ZF trans and it looks good. My GT40 is a right hand drive with right hand shift that will use 84" cables.

Rick

Back