New/Old RCR Build...

Kim Haun

Supporter
Hello! My first post seeking guidance from you all here on GT40s.com. I'm building a RCR GT 40 that's been in mothballs for about 10 years. It came with some great components but there are some I have yet to get as well. One of the things I'm working on right now is the engine and transaxle mating. I have a Porsche G50 52 that is going on a Ford Racing 363 crate motor. It came with clutch, flywheel and hydraulic throw out bearing and that all seems to fit together. What I'm looking for now is a pilot bearing to work with this set up. It seems it has to stick out from the crank a bit to catch the input shaft. What's a good source for a quick turn around for this part?

Kim

Kim Haun

Supporter
Thanks Randy! As soon as the "fever" lets up of diving into this thing I'll be making a more formal introduction to the site.

I was not able to post a PM to Chris because I haven't posted enough yet...I need to post 10 times...what's with that? Also he hasn't received a PM in almost 2 years. Can you PM me with any business contact info for him? Thanks for your help!

Kim

Kim Haun

Supporter
I was able to locate the pilot bearing I need from Kennedy. They're sending it out today and I should get it tomorrow! There are two other questions I have regarding fitment of this transaction to motor.

1) My transaxle fits very tightly on the adapter collar. So much so that after tightening it up and then taking all the nuts off I had to really wrench on it quite a bit to get it loose. I did some clear in saying with a sanding wheel but it still fits pretty snug. Is this something I should be concerned about? When I used to work on 911's and Volkswagens I never had this tight of fit. I don't want to put too much strain on the bell housing.

2) I have to make a spacer plate of 1/10 of an inch thick for proper throw out bearing and flywheel to starter clearances. The transaxle adapter only covers the top part of the flywheel and leaves the bottom 1/3 of the flywheel exposed. Should I cover this exposed area with my new spacer plate to keep out road debris? Or should I leave this area open or partially open for clutch cooling?

Thank you for your advice and comments!

Kim

Kim,

I just went through the same thing. The plate between the engine and the bellhousing needs to cover the entire bellhousing area including the bottom. Further, there should be two dowel pins that locate the plate while you put the bellhousing to the engine and that also properly aligns the two. That plate needs to be centered to align the starter as well.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

It sounds like you need the stock plate that fits the rear of a Ford small block engine. That will be about the right thickness and since you are using the G50 transmission the starter is on the transmission and you will just have to cover the starter hole in the plate.

Kim Haun

Supporter
It sounds like you need the stock plate that fits the rear of a Ford small block engine. That will be about the right thickness and since you are using the G50 transmission the starter is on the transmission and you will just have to cover the starter hole in the plate.

Thanks Bob and Eric... I made the block plate out of .10 aluminum plate and left it solid to cover the bell housing. All clearances are within tolerances now. I think it'll work nicely. Thanks for your input.

Kim

Back