UN1 shift pattern

Ed McClements

Supporter
I have yet to collect my rebuilt UN1/013 from Chris Cole (should be this coming week) and have a question about shift pattern. Does the use of an original-style shifter like this one, and this type of rear linkage result in 1st being away from the driver like a standard pattern, or towards the driver like a ZF pattern?

Attachments

• original_pattern_shifter.jpg
    original_pattern_shifter.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 53427-Gearboxend.jpg
    53427-Gearboxend.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,350

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi Eddy,
It will have reverse shift pattern with the hardware as shown, I.e.pull back lever for 1st
Regards,
Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy - that's what my logic had told me, but before I finish fabricating my shifter I wanted to check. At least with this set-up, reverse will left-and-forwards as per the original cars. It's my understanding that UN1 has reverse left-and-back, ie. to the left of second gear, correct?

If anyone out there is running this style of original-style shifter, but with a different linkage at the rear I'd like to see a pic of the linkage.

Cheers,

Eddy

Hi Eddy ....... just to confirm. 1st, 3rd and 5th will be backwards movement, 2nd and 4th will be forward movement. Reverse will be across to the left and forwards (with the lock-out lever up).
It can be a bit of a faff getting it set up due to the uj's and all the rod end bearings in the linkage. Once set up keep a watch on the rod end bearings as general road dirt/dust can cause the bearings to seize up.

Hi Eddy,
your assumptions are correct. The attached pic is an easier way to explain where the gears are.
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• gearshift pattern.JPG
    gearshift pattern.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,388

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok
So take the lever off the gearbox shaft and rotate through 180degrees
Turn gear mechanism over so to turns upwards
You will now have standard H configuration
First left and forward and reverse down back to second

Or am I missing something?

Ian

Ed McClements

Supporter
Andy, Steve, Ian

Thanks all for the input. I'll try both ways (once I have built the car, of course!). I'm not sure the reflex action in my wrist will be able to learn that 1st gear is where 2nd can normally be found...!

Hi Eddy,
if you want a conventional shift pattern, with the rear linkage as previously shown, you'll need a front shift lever as follows. This is what I built for mine
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• Gearlever - final.JPG
    Gearlever - final.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,060

Ed McClements

Supporter
Andy, Frank

Absolutely great, thanks. Basically what we're saying is that the fore/aft movement of the shift rod needs to be reversed somewhere along the line...either at the shift lever as in your pictures, or where the shift rod meets the 'box. The latter is my best option if I simply must have an original-style replica shifter plus a "conventional" H-pattern at the lever. Food for thought!

Eddy

Ed McClements

Supporter
Been busy with the angle grinder. Started with this:-

41641705045_0e45dc259e_b.jpg

and roughed-out a lever using some photos of an original gear lever

41820821584_34b65d0930_b.jpg

28670299538_69d8bd44fc_b.jpg

I tried to work out an elegant way of reversing the motion at the gearbox, but eventually decided it was much easier to do it at the shifter...

28670367428_5742c0a230_b.jpg

The hole near the midpoint of the lever will be tied to the ally block by a clevis and rose joint, much like the Porsche 962 shifter...

attachment.php

Back