Has anyone ever gotten a Griffin transaxle......

I'm in the planning stages for a GT40 car and am looking at my options for the transaxle. I want to do a right hand drive setup with the shifter on the right, so cable shifter. It seems like the best I've found so far is a Porsche 6-speed. Rebuilt by a reputable company with an adapter plate, clutch, pressure plate, etc is going to be around $10-11K.

But I was trolling the internet and saw the Griffin. Last time the owner posted here was last year. I was wondering if these ever went into production. Has anyone put one in their car?

The Porsche 930 (wide ratio 4 speed) transaxles are pretty much bullet proof. They pop up here or xBay from time to time and run about $5k or so.

I've heard a lot about the 930 boxes being very "rough". Hard shifting, finicky. But everyone does agree that they are tough. But even a 930 turbo had, at the most, 330hp. My plans are for a 408W with a 450-475 goal. That's a significant jump.

And if it's going to be re-built, I'd rather just have a 996 redone for nearly the same cost and have 2 more gears to row.

Thanks for the tip on Advanced Automotion. I'll give them a call. Hopefully they sell everything for the swap like adapter plate,starter, clutch, etc.

Last edited:
Well, you know they are both light cars and those turbos can be easily upgraded for much higher HP/Torque numbers and have been used in the 935 race cars (1000hp?).

Anyway, the 4 and 5 speed 930 transaxles are an excellent choice for high power applications and are affordable when you can find one. There are plenty of clutches available with ratings of 650 ft/lbs and higher. I prefer and chose the ZF, which fits in there nicely just like the originals. I like the gear spacing for track use. FYI, approximate weight of of the 930 transaxle is 135 lbs, where the ZF is over 150 lbs.

Last edited:
PHILLIP

Scott has been importing and rebuilding 01e's for a while.. he can answer you questions..You might be able to e mail him...Check the website

advanced automation

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have a fully built G50/50 in my Ultima, but it was $15K total investment to get it to reliably handle the 600HP. Personally I'd rather have the ZF in my Pantera or GT40 over it any day of the week and in either of those it's just the right thing to do IMO.

Used ZF's are fairly readily available, new ZF's and parts all available from RBT Transmission

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Just earlier this week I pointed someone to one on eBay fully rebuilt and flipped for GT40 use, they don't hang around long with those specs at this price;

ZF Transaxle | eBay

Larry Stock at Pantera Parts Connection, Carson City, NV (775 856-7011) has a -2 fully rebuilt, flipped and polished ready for a GT40, I must admit I don't know his current asking price.

Also call Dennis or Adam Quella Pantera Performance Center Castle Rock CO (303 660-9897) or Ron McCall McCall's Transmissions in Hampstead Maryland (410 239-2291)

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend the ZF...

Do your research on the Audi O1E's, First of all, the lower gears may not be optimal for your V8 setup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the majority of these transmissions come with a 3.50 first gear? If so, it's a pretty worthless granny gear and most likely a weak point for the transmission. Second is probably somewhere in between where your first and second should be. What I'm getting at is consider the cost involved to convert/strengthen it for a 408. These costs always creep up more than planned, not down...

I do not know my ratio off hand, but my first gear is good to about 30mph or so.. 70mph is 1800 rpm in 6ht gear. The car drives well in very slow traffic. You do not have to ride the clutch. Scott builds the trans to handle 500 hp. I think he sells them for $3000.. Phillip, you have to decide what you budget is and what you want. Plenty of time to do research. Neww rbt's are aroung $12500.

I've been quoted between $10-11K for a Porshce 996, fully rebuilt to handle a V8, adapter plate, clutch, pressure plate, etc. I'd always figured $20K for the engine/trans setup. The engine I can probably get done for $8K. I already have a good 351W core. 408 stroker kit, AFR heads, intake (I don't know what everyone is using yet if I can get away with a single plane or do I need to stick with a dual plane like an Edelbrock Airgap), Holley carb, MSD ignition system, machine work, assembly. That comes in right around $8K. $9K if I get Harland Sharp Shaft Rockers. And that includes $1K for misc. stuff. Then the trans I wanted to get just as a package from someone. I'm going to try and get ahold of Scott with the 01E transmissions and see what he can do.

Talked with Scott. Nice guy. Sounds like I'd be around $8K with the Audi trans, adapter, flywheel, press. plate, clutch, and starter. Definitely a bit cheaper. Just gotta do some more research.

I've heard a lot about the 930 boxes being very "rough". Hard shifting, finicky. But everyone does agree that they are tough. But even a 930 turbo had, at the most, 330hp. My plans are for a 408W with a 450-475 goal. That's a significant jump.

And if it's going to be re-built, I'd rather just have a 996 redone for nearly the same cost and have 2 more gears to row.

Thanks for the tip on Advanced Automotion. I'll give them a call. Hopefully they sell everything for the swap like adapter plate,starter, clutch, etc.

I have a 700hp LS3 mated to a 930. No problems, would use the transaxle again, nice and compact/lightweight.

I believe it's a KEP Stage 2 clutch.

If you take a look inside an 01E and a 930 (4 or 5 speed) it's like night and day - just for example, the gears in the 930 are much bigger/thicker/wider, as is the casing and everything else which takes the load. It's not even close.

For 450-500hp (or more) the 01E is really not ideal. Scott can build you a really good one for sure, but in my opinion you'd do better with a 930 or a ZF or G50.

The shifting of the audi boxes is pretty nice....partly because they are built for lighter loads and have smaller internals. They're also light weight - around 110-120lbs just by themselves. But again, not ideal for 450-500+ hp.

Back