50/52 Transaxle Cooler

Kim Haun

Supporter
My 50/52 transaxle has fittings for a cooler. But I'm wondering if I need some sort of pump to move the oil? Or is there an internal mechanism that moves the oil?

Kim

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I had my G50-52 drilled for fittings with orifices in them so that oil would spray on all the gears and the ring gear by Powerhouse in '95. I used a large 40 micron filter before a Tilton oil pump that supplied 50psi to the orifices.

Attachments

• GT40Rear End 03.jpg
    GT40Rear End 03.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 592

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I had my G50-52 drilled for fittings with orifices in them so that oil would spray on all the gears and the ring gear by Powerhouse in '95. I used a large 40 micron filter before a Tilton oil pump that supplied 50psi to the orifices.

My Powerhaus supplied Ultima G50-52 is similar although uses a slightly later style oil spray bar, but Tilton pump is the same.

Mitch Krause

Supporter
A quick question especially for Rick and Julian maybe. So the fitting that goes into the transmission, do you have some sort of nozzle end on that that will cause the oil to spray? On Rick's picture, it looks like just maybe a 90 degree 3/8 NPT tap into the transmission or something like that, I can't find any sort of "nozzle" that would be a have a spray end. What did you use? Presuming that the exhaust is right above the braided lines, did you use some sort of a heat shield?

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
In the blue NPT to 6AN fittings are .0625" orifices that were made to be inserted into them. The fittings were counter bored about .010" and washers about .125" thick with a .0625" hole were inserted into them, simple but effective since it will make a spray that hits every gear including the ring gear.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I should note that the .010" c-bore is done on the AN end of the fitting not the NPT end. That way the oil pressure only pushes the drilled washers to the bottom of the c-bore (make OD of the orifice to be a snug fit into the c-bore). If done on the NPT end the c-bore would have to be an interference fit that would still be tight at 200°+, I didn't want any possibility that the orifice could come out and end up in the transaxle.

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Yeah, I can't quite tell on your picture, but it looks like you might have a straight NPT to AN fitting coming out of the transmission. My issue is that I did not have enough clearance to the mufflers to go with a straight fitting. I had to use a 90 degree fitting, which would make it impossible to get a spray fitting that would work (since I would have to try and counterbore around the 90). I am just going to see what happens with the straight fitting. One day when I get it filled, I am going to take one off and see how much comes out that way and what it looks like.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Ok, let's try something different, put the orifice in the NPT to AN fittings coming out of your spray bar. This will ensure that ALL lines have the same flow and that all gears will get the same oil pouring onto them. If your ring gear oil location is like mine then you can put the orifice in the straight NPT to AN fitting since the oil will spray horizontally onto the ring gear (the other ones will just pour onto the gears since the hose to the transaxle will fill with low pressure oil because the restriction is at the spray bar and not at the transaxle). The key is to ensure that all gears are getting the same amount of oil sprayed onto or pouring onto them.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mitch,
My intentions were to weld shut the NPT-AN male-male fittings, then bore 1/8” holes (orifices) in them. 90° AN 6 lines from there to manifold. Yes, it is pretty tight under the mufflers and the AN lines would need to be wrapped with heat tape / header wrap.
Well, that’s what my original plan was...

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Randy, Two thumbs up, that will work just fine. Anyone who can TIG weld should be able to fill the NPT end or weld in a slug that can be drilled. I didn't look at this option since I can't weld for crap.

Back