Kar Kraft T44 dimensions question

Hello everyone,
I'm currently working on a 1/8 scale model of the MkII engine with the T44 gearbox. Holding the first prototype in hands I couldn't believe the size of the T44, it's so huge! Is there anyone here who could reassure me by telling me the real dimensions of the gearbox as indicated in the picture attached?

I just couldn't find any numbers on the net so far.
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• T44_side_view.jpg
    T44_side_view.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 1,605
Scaling from a 9" ring gear diameter, I get
A=23.7"
B=28.7"

I've got an isometric image of the box that came from a CAD drawing, so a real CAD drawing might exist somewhere.

Hello Bob,

thanks for the info! I've been looking for the ring diameter too but probably used the wrong tags.
I guess my scale model is a bit too long, but not as much as it looks. I've been comparing it to the 1/12 scale Trumpeter plastic kit and they've got it definitely wrong, way too short.
A CAD model would be very cool, but someone who has it probably won't give it away just like that. So I've done my own model for 3d printing, see attached.
Again, thank you!

Attachments

• T44_cad.jpg
    T44_cad.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 2,186
At one point we had a full (copy) set of blueprints of the T44. I started transferring to CAD, but gave up quickly when it looked like at least a 100-hour project (not to mention, the blueprints were barely readable in many places).

Mike

You might be able to scale the drawing based off the distance between the main shaft and lay shaft. My understanding is the T44 shares the same architecture as the Ford top loader so spacing should be the same.

Also the drawing for the bell housing faces is on here somewhere

Lastly there is a post that also discusses the position of the mounting ears on the top cover.
I am not sure if these share the same 104mm spacing as the 5DS-25

Ryan

The T44 does NOT use the 9"" Ford R&P, so do not scale off that dimension. The only dimension you can scale off your drawing on post#1 is from the rear face of circlip @ front of mainshaft to front face of circlip at rear of mainshaft as this should be same as a Top Loader trans case which is flat at both ends with no recess for circlips. The Top Loader case appears to be 10.125", though please verify that yourself as I just used a straight edge & ruler for a quick check. I have added the point in question to your drawing from post #1
T44_side_view.jpg

Last edited:
Back