SVA Testing in Uk

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Its seems to be, that many builders are fitting lights, switches etc, in positions to pass this test. I presume these items are then moved to new positions after completing the test satisfactorily.If this repositioning is undertaken, 'post testing', how do you stand legally if you are involved in an accident and this 'repositioning' is discovered? Surely this could be grounds for your insurance company to withdraw liability of cover?
How do people comply with the test,by fitting 'original' style wheel spinners and those sharp edges on fuel filler caps?
Im looking at an RF as a possible purchase. Has anyone got to or recently put their RF through SVA and could advise me on what needed changing.
As always, i humbly await education.
PS. Ive just returned from Snetterton, been watching Graham Turner's 917, testing for the 'Spa' race next weekend, what a sight!

hi Charlie,
Im nearing the end of the build of my RF and will be ready to sva this year.The vast majority of the components suplied with the kit will pass the sva test with no problems at all.
The sharp edges on the fuel filler caps(a problem on all makes of gt40 replicas) are very easily sorted by simplly radiusing to 2.5mm any sharp edge with a very fine file then rebuffing. ive done the same with the door-handles so these will not be a future problem. As for wheel spinners the SVA bible says no wing-nuts on the wheels, so ive made a set of nuts just to get it through the test.All 40s will have a problem with the two left-hand toggle switches as they are not within the "included area" behind the steering wheel(thats about 125mm each side of the wheel). BMW got around this problem on the new mini by fitting a loop over the switch-im doing roughly the same.
The other few things that required a smallamount of fiddling with were -the reverse lights nad to be rotated by 90degrees so the "top" marked on the lense was at the top,and the heads of the cap heads in the steering wheel boss shortened by 1mm so they protruded less than 5mm and therfor only needed a radius of 1.5mm and not 2.5.All edges have to be radiused so a carefull build wiil elimate these as its progressed.
The RF kit is the one id definatly recomend. its been an absolute joy to build and the quality of it is outstanding. i cant praise it enough, and the aftersales service from Rick Chattell in the UK and Robert Logan in Oz is faultless.

hope this helps you- any questions please feel free to ask
Jerry

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jerry,

Many thanks for your very kind words for both Rick and my team in Australia.

I will again be in the UK at the Exeter Show in November and look forward to seeing your RF again. I will be shipping the MkII that I took to Le Mans in 2002 to England in the next few days to ensure it is at the Exeter Show and also the FIRST cars out of South Africa are due for dispatch from Cape Town in the next few weeks and I hope to visit those cars also during my trip.

If my staff can be of any more help, Jerry, please contact us.

Best wishes,

Robert

I'm close to SVA also and trying to put together a list of "adjustments" to your car in order to pass. Please add to this, so far I've got : -

1. Switches in the normal dash positions will fail - need to move them or do something similar to the new mini.
2. Remove wheel centre spinners and fit large nuts if needed.
3. Fit indicators in the headlight recess.
4. If you are not having a heater - fit one for the test to clear the windscreen.
5. Proof of engine age - one of the ford rebuild books I'm told is good enough if it has the number listings.
6. Mount rear Fog within appropriate measurements.
7. Make sure any outer extrusions don't break the 5mm radius rule - filler caps ,door handles e.t.c.
8. Fix any brake bias bars inplace with a split pin as it can't be adjustable.
9. Fit large mirrors and don't fit your door windows so you can adjust them from the drivers seat.
10. I think you need to adjust the front ride height to make the headlamp centres minimum 500mm - anybody know the score ?
11. If you do change the ride height adjust the headlamp aim.
12. If you aren't fitting carpet cover any interior sharp edges.

THanks Paul and Jerry, very usefull tips!

A couple of questions I have though.

Arnt the door handles flush to the outside of the car? Or are you talking about radiousing the inner handle?

Does the test require two mirror's one side and one rearview?

Cheers

Dave, the Tornado outer door handles are flush till you get to the last inch nearest the motor and then it angles outward at about 30 degrees. This is so when you press it ,you can get hold of the arm of the handle and open the door. I really don't want to start modding my door handles check my build pics page 6, if you look closely you'll see the shadow underneath the proud bit. I have put this is in the seeifIcangetawaywithitfirsttimeround category. I doubt I'll get through first time so going to take my chance on a few bits !

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Im reliably informed that its about impossible to get thro first time.
After all, its there job at stake. If they passed us all first time, theyd only work 6 months of the year.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back