SVA Weights Front Rear and Total

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys

I applied for my SVA but had a letter back stating I needed to have Front Rear and Total Gross weights.

OK I have a DAX and the glassing is real heavy weight.

So what have recent SVA goers put on their forms?

I would think something like
Front 800kg
Rear 900kg
Gross Weight 1700kg

But what "allowance" over actual would be accepted if they weigh the axles?

any input appreciaed

Thanks
Ian

Ian,

Nor sure if this is any help, but I put a stock GTD (iron 302, ac etc) on digital corner weight scales.

Without driver, but with 1/2 tank of fuel & oils etc;

total weight 1147KG

front axle 43.8%
rear axle 56.1%

Corner weights in kilos;

F N/S 257.5 KG
F O/S 245.5 KG
R N/S 315.5 KG
R O/S 329.5 KG

Best Regds

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Julian
Many thanks
That is the sort of thing - that is actuals but what is Maximum allowed?

Taking your figures I would think my guesses for maximums would be about right!

If you have some tools in a box in the front clip, door pockets packed, 2 people and perhaps something in the rear clip / storage what would the axles withstand?

OR
Has anyone got a Chassis plate that has been correctly stamped and shows Maximin front, rear and total GVM?

Taking your figures I would think my guesses for maximums would be about right!

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian

My KVA was SVA'd about 5 years ago. I weighed it on a public weighbridge, front, rear and total. The front + rear did equal the total! At the time it was 1080kgs, but not fully fitted with carpets etc, it will be a little heavier now.

I can't remember the exact front and rear weights and I'm not at home, so can't check, but the % figures in the earlier reply look familiar.

As I remember from the test, they check the brake efficency by comparing stopping power on the rolling road against stated weight, so in my opinion, you don't want to state too large a figure, especially when they test the handbrake.

Regards

Dave Tickle

Ian, I have a CAV Gt40 which went through the SVA a couple of months ago.
I 1800kg for for gross maximum weight. I then worked out the front and rear axle weights using the weight distribution of 55% rear:45% front. The gross maximum weight and weight distribution was given to me by Autofuturia in South Africa. The SVA people were happy with the resulting axle weights. They measured the actual axle weights which have to be less than the maximum weights.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Many thanks for that

I had been speaking to other marques as well (Cobra and Sevens) and they say much the same thing - just make sure it is not over the maximum weight stated

Ian

Ian, you need two sets of weights - The car designers gross designed weight, and the actual weight as the car is presented to SVA. The design gross weight is a safety design weight at which the car will do all it is required to do while fully laden, which includes axle integrity and weight carrying capacity, braking ability to enable the car to slow to the required standards whilst at maximum weight etc etc. The actual weight is obvious, and I weigh each car that comes through here, the average, and the figure I use for VOSA MOT inspections, is 1200 Kg. It used to be a requirement that the kit manufacturer supplied the design weight calculations when he supplied the certificate of newness to the owner, another piece of paper you will require. Frank

Hi Ian,
Ive recently sva'ed my RF and the front axle weight was 550kgs and the rear was 750kgs. the declared design weight was 1500kgs.
jerry

Malcolm

Supporter
Ian

If you wish to weigh your car, I have a set of scales so bring your car over and we can get you your OWN actuals!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Once again many thanks for the responses

I got some info from Dax and went for a total weight of about 1600kg with a realistic split of about 45/55% front to rear. That should give a reasonabl "cushion" over actuals, which I am advised that will do at SVA so they can correctly determine brake force and distribution.

Malcom I may take you up on the scales as it is looking real tight SVA on 19/06/06 and hopefully retest on 26th then register and run to Le Mans on 08 July - I'll need as much shake down in th interim as I can get befpre a 800 mile trip.

Cheers
Ian

Back