UK SVA - Engine Build Date Validation Proof

Dave Collins

Supporter
I am just in the process of sorting out all the paperwork I will need when I present my car for SVA and subsequent registration.

I would be interested to hear what recent experience people have had as to what has been accepted as reasonable proof of the engine block age by the VOSA inspectors at the time of the test, as I want to make sure I have the correct documentation available.

Any other tips on areas of documentation, evidence of newness etc. that people have come across unexpectedly would also be appreciated.

Please either respond here or PM me.

Thanks

Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I got mine through on a fax letter from Landrover stating the Block was from a batch made between dates x and y - which tied in with the date of the invoice it was purchased on.

It seemed to be a pretty cursary check on my car - but I had done the work before and the actual letter would have been there by retest time (Hadn't arrived due to post strike)

I have heard on the Ford Units a copy of the block dating in a Ford book will suffice for the Block.

The newness bit comes in for the next part of the sequence where you go the the DVLA and get the licence - at that point you must have the invoices and documentation to prove the dates of the major components - it is all set out in the manual.

Ian

Dave

I have just got my car through SVA and the engine, a Ford 302, was identified by the casting numbers by the starter motor, photos of the numbers which I took when I rebuilt the engine and the explanation in a book I have "how to rebuild small block Ford engines" page 25 and 26. The inspector accepted this information for the emissions test and checked the casting numbers when the car was up on the four poster.

Best regards
Geoff

Dave Collins

Supporter
Ian - Thanks for the information, much as I thought.

Geoff - Congratulations on getting your car through SVA and thanks for the info.

Dave

I have a roush 342 built from a case hardened 302 block and for sva I am relying on the letter from roush stating it is from a pre 92 mustang

On the starter motor mount it reads
FISE
DB

Can anyone age this engine block from this information .The only other numbers on the block are stamped on by roush as 342037 which coresponds to the engine they have constructed from this old block

I am assured that in the valley there would be a block specific number but I am loathed to strip it to find out

Dave Collins

Supporter
Huw,

The block I have is also stamped F1SE and this is apparently a 1991 model year Thunderbird engine block design.

I found the casting date for my block on the underside of the starter motor mount which you should be able to see if you look at the engine from underneath. It should be in the form of number, letter and then 1 or 2 numbers cast between what look like 2 screw heads.

I am going to use the block dating description in "How to rebuild the small-block Ford" by George Reid as the evidence of what the casting numbers mean for my SVA.

Dave

Mike Pass

Supporter
Have you checked in the right place? On the smallblock Ford the block casting number is underneath the "ledge" at the flywheel end on the right as seen from that end. It can only be seen from below. The code works by the first letter being the decade ; C is sixties, D is seventies. The next bit is a number which is the year. So C7 is 1967 etc. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Back