California registration

First I'd like to say hello to all.

I am in the process of saving for a MK1 (3 more years, I hope!) and thought I'd ask a question that may have been asked before, though in 3+hours of searching, I haven't been able to find.

What are the requirements/procedures for registering a SPF GT40 here in California?

I have heard that there are like 500 kit car registrations granted by the state every year. Is there a way around this? Is the car even registered as a "special build" vehicle? I have noticed that some of you all (if not all) have them registered as 1966 model year cars. Whats the scoop?

Thanks again for the replies in advance.

P.S.

It is AMAZINGLY refreshing to find a forum full of people who are serious about the topic, and refrain from petty remarks and jabs....kudos to everyone here.

Welcome John! You can go to the California DMV website and look up specialty constructed vehicles and SB100 and find your answers.

Legally there is no way around the SB100 process. It is not that bad. Your car will be registered as SPCN in the year you complete the process.

The law has cracked down on the folks that tried to pass cars like these off as 1966. They monitor websites like this too.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Does this mean, if I'm not one of those 500, the car will have to be emissions legal?

Has anyone out there delt with this situation? Is there a DMV office open on New Year's day for this (LOL)? I was looking over the DMV website, and I was not able to figure out if I'd have to wait a full year (if I missed out on the first 500) to register the car, so as to avoid the emissions test.

Bear in mind, I don't plan on starting the order process for at least 3 years (barring any unexpected lottery luck:)). I'm just trying to get a handle on what would need to be done so as to be a little more prepared when the time comes. I know, the regs. could be completely different in 3 years, but I feel it's good to know how these regs. might at least progress between now and then.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Does this mean, if I'm not one of those 500, the car will have to be emissions legal?

Has anyone out there delt with this situation? Is there a DMV office open on New Year's day for this (LOL)? I was looking over the DMV website, and I was not able to figure out if I'd have to wait a full year (if I missed out on the first 500) to register the car, so as to avoid the emissions test.

Bear in mind, I don't plan on starting the order process for at least 3 years (barring any unexpected lottery luck:)). I'm just trying to get a handle on what would need to be done so as to be a little more prepared when the time comes. I know, the regs. could be completely different in 3 years, but I feel it's good to know how these regs. might at least progress between now and then.

Thanks again,

John

Yep, if you miss the 500, you either have to wait until the following
year, or you have to comply with current calendar year smog
requirements. There used to be some great info, basically a step
by step process with suggestions on how to get through the SB100
process at CobraTrader , but the site is down for
upgrades right now.

Basically, you need DMV forms REG 343, REG 5036 and REG 124 (124
you have to get at the DMV), and have as many receipts as possible
for engine, transaxle, bill of sale of the SPF GT40, basically all paperwork
showing where the major components came from. Superformance will
give you a Certificate of Origin or similar as well.

Once you get to the DMV, bring the REG 343 and REG 5036, ask for
a REG 124 and let them know that you want to register the vehicle
under SB100. If there are certs left, you are in and can begin the
process. You will be given a 20 day period where the vehicle can be
driven to the CHP for the VIN (REG 124), a smog referee for your
exemption, and the safety/lights/brakes test at an approved testing
station. Again, bring all of your paperwork/receipts/etc. with you,
especially the CHP, just in case. Once you finish those 3 steps (in that
order by the way), then it's back to the DMV to turn in everything and
get your plates.

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian for the great info. Do you by any chance know when/ if you can reserve a spot under SB100, or do you have to camp out at the DMV on Jan. 2nd?

Thanks a lot Ian for the great info. Do you by any chance know when/ if you can reserve a spot under SB100, or do you have to camp out at the DMV on Jan. 2nd?

You have to show up in person (or have someone show up for you) the first business
day in the new year. You might be able to make an appointment, but in all honesty,
that might not help. And I know people might tell you to use AAA, but I don't think
they can handle SB100 reg.

Here's the Cobra Trader How-To courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine:

CobraTrader -- Cobra / Kit Car Registration'

This is probably the most detailed method of how to use SB100 to get your car registered
in California. If Ron or another mod reads this, I do not think we can legally reprint it
here - it was written by someone else (I think it might have been "Meat"), and we
should probably get permission if we want to put it in a sticky or a how-to.

Ian

I know two people who have gotten exemptions on smog requirements by running alcohol on newer already registered vehicles, wondering if it's possible to do this with a kit. Anyone know?

BTW-Be prepared to know exactly what you can and can't do. I registered a couple spcn desert buggies and the first time all went smoothly. The second time I pretty much had to get a supervisor out there and then everybody was POed at me because I pretty much, as politely as I could, told them what I needed and what they were supposed to do. They wanted to force me to get a bond, but as far as I understood, as long as you have all your reciepts, they can't require this. The vehicle I was registering was worth around $25-30k but I made sure the reciepts came in under 15K as I believe that may have been the limit at that time. After the supervisor researched it a bit they finally just copied all my reciepts and sent me on my way with a temporary.
The ones that were REALLY irritating were the CHP. They took the vehicle for a few hours, wouldn't let me even see the vehicle during that time, and then proceeded to put the tag in a location I was going to cover with aluminum, and had told the guy so about that area. When I complained that he put it in the exact tube I ask him not to and again why, he said "If it's not visible your vehicle can be impounded if you are stopped". To top it off, he didn't even get it mounted straight with the tube. Pretty amazing how you can pour your heart and soul into something and others just don't give a crap.

I'm thinking it will be even worse if I show up with a RCR SLC!

John,
If you can get the "Country of California" to recognize the United States EPA's stand on kit cars maybe you will have a chance to emission your kit to what ever year you want.

Read this -> Kit Car Policy | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

HTH

Reading that, I am more than satisfied with CA's SB100. From what I can tell, the EPA
rules state you need to register a kit using a rebuilt used engine, transaxle and diff,
and meet the smog requirements for that year. The engine block and cylinder heads
must be rebuilt used items from the same year, and the transaxle needs to match the
config originally mated to the engine used. So, if you want to build an RCR SLC with
a 1965 engine block and heads to be smog exempt, more power to you. No way you
cxan have a 6 speed tranny either, and very likely you can toss a 5 speed out the
window as well. The N/V ratio deal seems pretty bad as well.

Ian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
My wife and I live in another state were R. Nad-- has not been, we have a second home in CA were I drive my old LP400s when we visit, (out of state tag) also it took me all of 20 minutes at 8 am in the morning (NOT CA) to register my SPF which has antique tag on it. I love CA, I am from CA, and its a great place to visit but CA has many rules for the few and few for the many. I would bet the 500 miles a year MAX I drive there couldn't compare to the old clunkers being driven every day with someone Else's sniff test. Drive a great car and go to jail but you can smoke Pot and get away with it...Go figure. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reading that, I am more than satisfied with CA's SB100. From what I can tell, the EPA
rules state you need to register a kit using a rebuilt used engine, transaxle and diff,
and meet the smog requirements for that year. The engine block and cylinder heads
must be rebuilt used items from the same year, and the transaxle needs to match the
config originally mated to the engine used. So, if you want to build an RCR SLC with
a 1965 engine block and heads to be smog exempt, more power to you. No way you
cxan have a 6 speed tranny either, and very likely you can toss a 5 speed out the
window as well. The N/V ratio deal seems pretty bad as well.

Ian

It's stuff like this that made me make the statement that an RCR SLC is MAYBE registerable, and maybe not, even though Fran insists that it is registerable. The only way I saw to get it registered in CA would be to put an old engine/trans in it, use the tags from a 1960 something donor car, or try and get an exemption by using alcohol. That's pretty much why I came to this thread. I wanted to know how to go about getting a car like the SLC registered, and if it was even possible. My family has two places in AZ. Maybe the best thing to do, if I ever get an SLC or something of its ilk, would be to just register it in AZ, but I know the 30 day rule, and I can't believe a car like the SLC wouldn't be pulled over frequently just so the leo could have a look see. The AZ plates would probably have to go pretty quick. Then the question is, would it be easier to transfer the vehicle from another state, or do a virgin in CA?

I understand that the rule in CA says that if the year of the vehicle and engine can not be determined, then it is considered a 1960 vehicle. What exactly do they look for to date the vehicle and engine? Just the stampings, or the style/series production of the engine/vehicle?

It's stuff like this that made me make the statement that an RCR SLC is MAYBE registerable, and maybe not, even though Fran insists that it is registerable. The only way I saw to get it registered in CA would be to put an old engine/trans in it, use the tags from a 1960 something donor car, or try and get an exemption by using alcohol. That's pretty much why I came to this thread. I wanted to know how to go about getting a car like the SLC registered, and if it was even possible. My family has two places in AZ. Maybe the best thing to do, if I ever get an SLC or something of its ilk, would be to just register it in AZ, but I know the 30 day rule, and I can't believe a car like the SLC wouldn't be pulled over frequently just so the leo could have a look see. The AZ plates would probably have to go pretty quick. Then the question is, would it be easier to transfer the vehicle from another state, or do a virgin in CA?

I understand that the rule in CA says that if the year of the vehicle and engine can not be determined, then it is considered a 1960 vehicle. What exactly do they look for to date the vehicle and engine? Just the stampings, or the style/series production of the engine/vehicle?

You have basically two options to register an SL-C in CA.

1) A used/rebuilt engine, and use the smog equipment required for that year.
There is a way to register a car in this manner without using SB100. The
only problem is you will possibly subjected to a biannual smog test. Depending
on the engine used, it could be easy, it could be tough.

2) Go through the SB100 process, and find an engine that does not have any
manufacturer date codes on it, or a used/rebuilt one that is old enough to
make you smog exempt (1965 and older).

Transaxle, heads and diff are not an issue in either case. At least that's my
understanding

Ian

Ian. First you have been very helpful. Thank you.

I actually like number one. Now does a used/rebuilt engine include a factory crate like an LS3? Again, how exactly is that determined, if you know? Does the smog equipment include the OEM computer?

Ian. First you have been very helpful. Thank you.

I actually like number one. Now does a used/rebuilt engine include a factory crate like an LS3? Again, how exactly is that determined, if you know? Does the smog equipment include the OEM computer?

Hmm, either I misremebered #1, or the rules have changed. I think I misremembered, and
that the rules changed a while ago now that I think about it. If you do not get an SB100/
SPCNS Certificate of Sequence, you must either wait until the next year, or register the
vehicle based on that calendar year (i.e. brand new).

As for what smog equipment is required, well, probably everything. OEM ECU (though it
could be chipped), whatever pumps, cats, etc. You'd need to get hold of a service
manual to see what comprises the smog system.

Ian

Last edited:
Now does a used/rebuilt engine include a factory crate like an LS3? Again, how exactly is that determined, if you know? Does the smog equipment include the OEM computer?

The smog equipment for the 2008 LS3 includes the OEM computer with OBDII.
The LS3 of the 1970s does not have a computer.
The look of the Two engines are completely different, one is carburated the other fuel injected.
The BAR Referee will look up what is required for the engine in a manual to see if you have all the smog equipment for that year of engine.

Last edited:
If you have your primary home (shack/apartment/what ever) in Idaho you can register it as a 1966 Ford GT40. If they pass the same law in Montana and your home is there, there is no sales tax on cars!

Last edited:
There is no reason why a RCR-SLC, or any other car can't be registered in California. SB100 gives you the option of determining the year of the vehicle by either engine or body style. If the body style doesn't resemble any production vehicle, it will be considered a 1960 for smog purposes. As for registering by engine year, if the engine is a crate or out of a 1966 or later car, and you declare you are registering by engine, the car has to meet all smog requirements for the year of manufacture. If you declare by body style, it will be registered by the year of the body style it most represents. If the body doesn't resemble anything, it will assigned a 1960 body style. If registering by body style, it doesn't matter what engine you are using. You could probably get away with using an Allison V12, if you wanted to. There were some recent "clarifications" issued, but if registering by body style, to the best of my knowledge, they don't apply.

I’ve never been through the SB100 process but aren’t you up against several
thousand others trying to do the same thing i.e. rat rod, hot rod, kit car builders.

California is the car Mecca of the world, I know I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley
in the 60’s and spent my days running around SoCal in Cobra’s and Shelby's. It’s no
wonder to me why so many people want a piece of history, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

There are 500 SB100 numbers, available on a first come, first served basis. If you show up at your local DMV about 0500 on the first day of business, usually Jan 2, and have all your paperwork, receipts, etc you should not have a problem getting a number. Be sure and bring your check book.

Boyd Coddition and some others used to take a bunch of numbers, but the DMV have put a stop to that kind of foolishness. Most hot rods built from original bodies don't require a SPCNS registration or the SB100 number.

There are 500 SB100 numbers, available on a first come, first served basis. If you show up at your local DMV about 0500 on the first day of business, usually Jan 2, and have all your paperwork, receipts, etc you should not have a problem getting a number. Be sure and bring your check book.

Boyd Coddition and some others used to take a bunch of numbers, but the DMV have put a stop to that kind of foolishness. Most hot rods built from original bodies don't require a SPCNS registration or the SB100 number.

Correct - Rat Rods and Hot Rods are registered based upon model year, assuming they are
using original bodies and chopped up frames. However, the "new" rods using fiberglass or
steel repo bodies and custom tube frames fall under SB100.

So, yes, you are up against a large number of people who are clamoring for the 500 certs,
and they usually run out on the first business day.

Ian

Back