front plate?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
On top of the tool-box comes to mind...

On a more serious note - that's actually a good question - particularly since the LEOs around here are very serious about nailing everyone that's missing a front plate with a ticket that rings the cash register to the tune of $150..

I'm planning on trying to get Collector's plates on mine. You only have to run a rear plate in that case..

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Depends on where you live and what the "Law" there is like. Where I live we are required to have front plates but the next province (I live near the border) doesn't. Consequently, the Cops are so used to seeing cars with no front plate that they barely notice. I have four cars, three of which run with no front plate and (touch wood), I have never been pulled over or cited for not having one. I even know a Pantera owner in the states that ran with an Italian "PROVA" plate for a year and a half with nobody noticing.

I do know guys that have attached the plates to hinges so they fold away at speed and drop vertical at rest. My experience with Police is that as long as you're not driving like an idiot, when they do notice the car they are so captivated they don't even notice the minor infraction. I like the historic plate idea if you can do that. BTW, has anyone ever seen a GT40 with a front plate?

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

There are a couple of pictures on the site (members rides) of cars with front plates although they are not from the US they are the larger euro type.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/carimages/130-3025_IMG.JPG
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/carimages/Malcolm MacAdam launching off start line.jpg

I have been wondering about this very issue as my state requires front and rear plates. I like the hinge idea but still have concerns about airflow...maybe they are unfounded as I'm not an expert in this at all.

Regards,

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
This same question came up a couple of years ago.

I think the best answer was get the numberplate and make a couple od Aluminium brackets. fix the brackets on the plate and car then break the plate off. Kick it up and down the road a bit to "scuff it up" then carry it in the door pocket.

Honest officer it just fell off and I stopped and picked it up!

Ian

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
This same question came up a couple of years ago.

I think the best answer was get the numberplate and make a couple od Aluminium brackets. fix the brackets on the plate and car then break the plate off. Kick it up and down the road a bit to "scuff it up" then carry it in the door pocket.

Honest officer it just fell off and I stopped and picked it up!

Ian

That's the best suggestion I've heard to date.....

Guys,

I just lie mine flat on the passenger side of the dashboard - I've passed a large number of cops and so far they've not stopped me!

John
:D

I have personalized plates (FORDGT) and I was told by a surprisingly helpful person at the Registry of Motor Vehicles that there's a process I can go through if I "lose" my front plate, the result being that I would have some documentation from the RMV explaining the missing front plate that would allow me to dodge a ticket, if it ever came to that.

I'm not sure how it works in other states but here in WA the classic/collector plates (30+ years old) come with $0 annual tab fees and the state only gives you a rear plate. Of course, you can't personalize the collector plate numbering/letters like a regular plate - my alternate choice with a regular plate was to be "1LEMANS"

In Sydney, NSW, Oz, you won't see any cars without front plates. The cops are strict. This really spoils the appearance (not to say radiator air flow) of many beautiful, sleek, cars. What use is a front plate anyway?

Dalton

In Sydney, NSW, Oz, you won't see any cars without front plates. The cops are strict. This really spoils the appearance (not to say radiator air flow) of many beautiful, sleek, cars. What use is a front plate anyway?

Dalton

So the photograph taken from the front of you 'speeding' shows the registration number and who was driving the car.
A very simple, foolproof and reliable revenue collection method.

Tony Hunt

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony,
Thats a definite 'no no' in Italy. Seems that the same 'evidence' could / was also used in subsequent divorce proceedings.

Tony,
I agree it can now be used for this, but our front number plate law has been around for decades, long before radar and cameras.
On the subject of positioning the front plates, some cars (eg. clubmans) screw them onto the top of the nose. Some appear to paint them or get stick-ons. They spoil the appearance IMHO in this location.

Dalton

Saw a nice trick to get around this on a Hot Rod, Front plate was mounted on a swing away type hinge & operated by a pop up headlight mechanism. when driving / running the plate was out of sight & not blocking airflow etc-when stopped it was in clear view. Owner had been pulled over several times by the law for not having a front plate, but by the time the cop got out of his car the plate was in view- no ticket!!

Jac Mac

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have been out in my shop fiddling and I've devised a plan (no fabrication yet) to mount a hinge on the bottom side of the nose (just in front of the nostril hood) that I can mount the plate to. While underway, the flow of air should push the plate up against the bottom of the nose. When stopped the plate would swing down and be visible through the grill opening.
Now there should be some means of limiting and dampening motion so it doesn't swing like laundry hanging on the line, but I think there's something to it..

Last edited:
A 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner rear licence plate bracket is spring hinged to allow access to the gas filler benind the plate.

Take the same bracket, and mount it in the front of the GT40, and use a long "choke" cable to activae the movement of the swing of the plate. It will require trimming of the spring so the pressure against the spring does not flop the plate down.

Not sure how readily avaiable the old Roadrunner brackets are, but I am sure other manufacturers have similar ones available that would work as well.
:pepper:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Could you drill a bunch of holes in the plate for airflow as long as the numbers/letters were visible?

Not that airflow isn't important - I think that esthetics are equally as important. I think that a license plate full of holes would likely be less appealing than would one that was whole..
Also - I know our local LEOs would ticket you for any alteration of the plate. Yes they are "that" strict..

Good thought though and it may be an option for one of us...

Back