SVA For unfinished cars older than 10 Years???

I have picked up a rolling chassis KVA MK1 with a 3.0L V6 in. The car runs and I have most bits to actually finish & drive it down the road.

I have heard that cars that are older than 10 years don't need to go through SVA approval. Based on the fact that the KVA must be older than this I wonder if I can get away from such testing. On reason I ask is that I have all the toggle switches and know that these are a no-no nowadays and if I can use them I will.

Any advise for a newcomer would be gratefully received.

Chris

Sorry Chris, That's not the case. Doesn't matter when the car was started, it's when it was finished that matters. If the car was finished and correctly registered as a KVA, you'd be fine. Sadly it means you'll have to SVA it.

Simon

TOGGLE SWITCHES ARENT TOO MUCH OF A PROBLEM AS YOU HAVE A CERTAIN ALLOWABLE ZONE FOR THEM FROM THE CENTRE OF THE STEERING WHEEL . tHOSE OUT SIDE THE ZONE CAN BE COVERED BY PLACING AN ARCH OVER THEM OR NEAR THEM AS CAN BE SEEN ON THE NEW MINI

Hi Chris,

When your KVA nears completion, ring Andy Sheldon and have a chat.

He offers a SVA "Test Kit" rental service, as well as having the experience of sending many replicas through SVA.

Check out this link;

Tornado Export Orders

Merry Christmas,
Scott

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Chris
As Huw says, switches need not be a problem. Go on to Registration and SVA and read through and get yourself an SVA manual. Don't listen to hearsay. When you are ready, put the car through the test and they will tell you what needs to be done by failing the car. Put these things right and it will pass. I have never heard of car not being able to get through the test.
If you need more advice and encoragement join the GT40 Enthusiasts Club if you are not already a member.

Brian

Chris, I have taken a couple of cars through SVA, (cobs not 40s), but as long as you read and interpret the books, it is relatively pain free.

most easily failed points are sharp edges and radius, especially around the dash and interior panels, and you cant just temporarily cover them now, they have to be presented as reasonably permanent (Ior at least from the perspective of the tester)

use the "SVA free" area around the steering wheel for anything like toggles that wont pass radius test. that way you wont need a replacement set of switches, even if they become relocated at a later point

Chris,
Putting the car through an SVA (particularly one that has already been built...been there done that!) will probably mean re-doing a few things on the car (are the brake pipes clipped at the right intervals etc) but at the end of the day it will make the car a BETTER car, than one that has been partially assembled by someone else. You will be able to MAKE SURE things are done up to the required standard and you will know every bit of the car as a result. It may seem like a mountain to climb, but the ride down the other side makes it all worthwhile!

Simon

Back