SEMA / North Carolina Laws for Kit Cars

Ron Earp

Admin
Does anyone here have any information on new legislation for kit car registration in NC? I was talking to Dennis from SPF a few weeks ago and he said some new SEMA sponsored legislation was supposed to come online in the Spring that would help him and anyone else registering a kit car for NC road use.

I didn't have time enough to discuss details with him and figured I could easily find it on the SEMA site. However, a look at he SEMA site didn't turn up anything of use on NC laws around this issue.

R

Ron if you find any info I would be interested - SEMA has a Canadian 'network' and I'm sure Canuck's could use any meaningful outside information. If I find anything I'll pass it your way.

Chris

Starting in April or May '08 the car can be registered as a Replica of lets say a Ford GT 40 1966.
They will also take pictures of the car and make sure it is what you are saying it is. You will receive temporary tags and paper work with the real thing coming after thay have completed their record search etc. Some of this is because of a '37 Ford Truck registered as real when it was a kit copy. The picture idea just came out today. I am wondering if those with cars registered prior can have them reregistered as copies of whatever they are copies of???
This is my understanding of the new statutes and the interpretation by NCDMV.
Hope this clears the air.
Mort

Ron,
This is different than what was written in the papers earlier. However, it may only be until the April or May, date of having you vehicle registgered as a reproduction of whatever it copies. For me it will be 66 Ford GT 40. I will tell you better in a month. Hope to have a completed car from HRE.
This entire adventure began while I was on active dute May of 05.
My local mechaic has a body shop that does rebuilds and will be asking the inpector who will evluate my car about all these issues when he sees him this week or next.
Will keep you posted.
Mort

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Mort,

Have you seen this:

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Antique and Custom-Built

That looks none too friendly and seems to be the way they have done it in the past.

Ron

This seems to be identical to the process in New Jersey, titled as a reconstructed vehicle and with the year built i.e 2008, must meet all saftey regulations and will be emmisions tested based on the year of the motor.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea if this affects resale value and selling to an owner in another state...any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron Earp

Admin
Just wondering if anyone has any idea if this affects resale value and selling to an owner in another state...any ideas?

Thanks,

Maybe and probably not.

Clearly if the potential buyer is looking for a 1966 Ford titled GT40 and you've got a 2008 title your car won't be worth as much to the potential buyer.

As far as transfer to another state, I don't think it'll affect anything. Once you have a title in one state it is easy to transnfer that title to another state. It is HARD to change anything on that title. So if you have a 2005 NJ title for a GT40 the car is more than likely going to have that title forever despite where you move or who you sell it to.

Keith

What I have always struggled with in terms of titling a replica is exactly why owners seemingly want to title the vehicle what it is clearly NOT - an original "1966 GT40".

If this brings extra value to the transaction, why is this so? Such a title is misleading is it not. And if it's misleading????............I'll leave you to complete the sentence.

Personally, I would have absolutely no issue with a title which read "MDA 40" or "RCR GT" or whatever. Surely a replica is a replica and there's only 2 people who ever see the title and that is the owner and the purchaser so what gives? :confused:

Ron Earp

Admin
Personally, I would have absolutely no issue with a title which read "MDA 40" or "RCR GT" or whatever. Surely a replica is a replica and there's only 2 people who ever see the title and that is the owner and the purchaser so what gives? :confused:

We've got 50 states over here in the US and everyone one of them has different laws for emissions and cars.

In MANY states the 1966 title would exempt you from emissions testing. This is naturally quite favorable.

People aren't doing this to pass it off as a "real GT40". It is for insurance, emissions, and other laws that vary from state to state. Most folks doing this won't care if it is a RCR, CAV, SPF etc. as long as the title date keeps it on the road without pesky laws involving bumpers, emissions, and all that.

Ron

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
That came about because one of our DVM muckity mucks was giving his buddies antique titles on custom cars, on order to avoid sales tax, etc. upon titling. In other words, he'd give him the antique title based on the "value" of a rotted out '35 ford, even though the thing was a custom $100k rod.

This new procedure requires that a DMV inspector take a look at the car, and make sure it is antique, or instead "custom." If custom, they are going to stick a value on it you won't like, and you will have big taxes to pay.

DMV here in NC remains corrupt. And I normally don't beleive in black helicopter crap.

Back