sb100

got my sb100 today. happy. happy. happy.
26 showed up, 26 got #'s.
started at 9am (wednesday you know), got out at 11:50. #170. happy, happy, happy.
got there at 5:25am. first guy in line: 7:30 am.........TUESDAY!!!!!!
all day and night. wow.
for those in CA, will follow with what is necessary on the forms from dmv.

now to get the car finished.
wes

Bill D,

It may not be that hard, but the mental stress is twice as heavy as the physical part. I hate dealing with DMV here in Oregon, and from what I understand, Oregon is far less difficult than CA.

So its all good in the end.

Wes S.....Way to go. Enjoy, and lets see a picture or two of your ride!!!!:pepper::pepper::pepper:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Just like having the first child. People have kids all the time and for the most part all goes well. The difference is when ITS YOU KID!!! (CAR) Just about the most nerve wracking experience I've ever had. No1 was my child (all went well), 2 was my draft number (40 in 1970), and 3 was the SB100 for my GT40. I was 454.

Hey Howard - got u beat with the draft number! - I was #12 in 1969! Only damn lottery I've ever "won"!

As for sb100 - I got mine yesterday - #79!

If you need to go sb100 i can wholeheartedly recommend the Petaluma DMV office - the office manager handles this and she does a superb job!

there were 7 of us there, she pre-preped us before the opening time to make sure we had the paperwork correct. when the doors opened at 9:00am, she started the paperwork entry, had 1 of her people calling for #'s. I was 4th in line, had my number and paperwork done by 9:30!!!! (the first two people has out of state transfer cars - so they had different paperwork to contend with that might have been easier than a standard "new" car - I don't know).

now just have to complete the car!

Dave

So where are the details about what your vehicles consisted of and any issues you heard of?

I see wess has a 347 and a G50, was there any questioning about those? Did you go to the CHP first and get a VIN? Did the CHP do an inspection and were there any questions/issues?

So where are the details about what your vehicles consisted of and any issues you heard of?

I see wess has a 347 and a G50, was there any questioning about those? Did you go to the CHP first and get a VIN? Did the CHP do an inspection and were there any questions/issues?

Crash - posted a brief how-to and posted a link that might work that gives very detailed
step-by-step instructions on getting an SB100/SPCNS rego done in the "California
registration" thread.

Basically, once you start the process with the paperwork, there is a specific order to follow.
You need to go the the DMV first to start the process, and get a form REG 124 so you can
drive to the CHP inspection station and get a VIN. Then you need to go to the Smog
Referee - this is where you decide between body style or engine. You can probably use
a new crate block, but set it up to look like an older engine - 1965 or so. Carbs, not FI
is probably the best way to go. The closer to a vintage set up the better. That way
you would either go with 1965, or if a decision cannot be made, then the default 1960.
Definitely talk to others who have gone through this process with Lambo replicas or
similar. Even someone with a Noble might have insight here. The GT40/Cobra crowd has
the benefit of using body style to determine year, so the engine choice is not an issue.

Ian

crash,
that's the link i used this year for what i needed to get mine registered. lots of good info there. still, very, very nerve racking!
the dmv just wants paperwork and amounts (so they can collect their fees). when i go to the chp, then we'll talk about the 347 (webers, roller cam, etc) BUT mine was registered as a 1965 gt40. the five is important because i only have to comply with the 1965 smog requirements. oops, what smog requirements? yeah.
still, not fun tho.
will post pics when i get my car.
wes

2008 Le Mans Prototype. Are you being sarcastic or should I say that?

Supposedly, if the DMV cannot recognize the shape, they mark it as a 1960's car.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
A cursory read of the link supplied in an earlier post shows:

"There are two ways to smog your car under SB100. One is by the year of the engine - which is fine if you have all of your smog equipment on the car for the year of the engine - including all catalytic converters, etc. The other way - the BEST way - is to smog the car according to the bodystyle. The Cobra is a 1965 bodystyle, and, consequently, is smog exempt."

"According the the bodystyle" seems pretty ambiguous to me....although it does seem like a stretch to expect the DMV to buy the idea that an SLC is a pre-smog bodystyle - which precipitated my tongue in cheek comment. OK, sarcastic.

I'm the proud owner of a new SPF Gulf GT40 Mark-I P/2207. Now I get the joy of starting down the road you've all been down. I have quick one question before I begin reading all the DMV SB100 information.

1. Does it make a difference if I register it as a 1965 or 1966?
2. I plan on installing a Roush 402R with Webers. Will that be a problem?
3. I live in Calabasas, what DMV do you recommend and what time should I be there?
4. Can I start the process without a motor?
5. Can I drive to car with a permit until January 2010?

Thanks for your help.
~ Randy.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just went through this process 01/02/2009 I got there at 2:00 am on Jan 2nd, (in Los Gatos, CA), I was the third one there, around 19 by 8:00 am, I got #257.

As far as I know you can not register it as a 65 or 67, you must register it as a 2008 or 2009. I do not think it matters what engine you use.

As far as which DMV to use I think it is important to find one which does a lot of this type of stuff. My car arrived in Oct 2008, I was able to register it, pay the tax and they gave me a temp reg until the end of Jan, 2009. they said if I needed to they could give me another 3 mo temp.

It is important to get a DMV person who knows this typ of registration, I received incorrect info from several DMV people.

Back