Georgia Kit Car Laws

I am currently doing just this sort of thing right now in Ga. Since I bought the car used, the bill of sale is the title to the car. What ever it says it is what it is. They have little trappings that go along wih it though. For mine, I have to prove that the vin# is what it says it is. I had to find a county constable who would sign an affidavit saying that the vin # was legit. They inspect the car what ever that entails and sign the paper along with their badge # to certify the vin is O K. They may do a search through interpol(car was bought from individual in Australia) to make sure it is not stolen.
I just happened to do the anesthesia for a gwinnett county policeman err woman for her C-Section, whose husband also is a GCP as well. After the surgery, I started talking to him about certifying my car. When he heard what it was, his eyes got big and his mouth dropped open. Seems he is a Mustang nut who is in the process of rebuilding one and loves anything Ford. Now that the car is home, I gave him a call, he came over and his wife had to drag him out of the garage an hour later. He gladly signed the papers.
Went to the tag office to get the tag and they informed me that yes I had all the right papers, but I had two things to do. 1st, I had to pay the back taxes for the 5 years I had the car. since the owner listed the car as a 1965 Ford GT 40, I have to pay the advelorum tax for a 1965 car for the last 5 years. About $100, and no emissions test. I also had to bring proof of insurance. Doh,,,that totally slipped my mind.(See the thread on "Insurance")
Rich, formally from Utah is in the market for a GT40. He has heard rumblings that the state is transferring the oversight of the custom/kit cars from one state agency to another. The new agency is trying to change the regs similar to what you guys are running into. I will leave it to Rich to bring you up to speed with that.
The ideal way to go was to get the car titled in one state, then bring it home and retitle it in your home state. A lot of the states have closed that loophole.

Bill

Back