New Jersey Titling of a Replica

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

I have all of the info now regarding titling a replica GT40 in New Jersey, here are the basics:

Replicas/Kit Cars will be titled as reconstructed vehicles, so under manufacturer it will say "reconstructed" and have the manufacture year on the title as in the year of being titled i.e title it this year and it will be a 2008 (so no more 1966 Ford GT40). They will be required to pass a saftey inspection test, which consists of steering, brakes, lights (must be DOT marked and meet min/max height requirements, which maybe a stretch for a 40), safety glass (glass must have DOT markings and no Lexan/Plexiglas), seat belts, drag line (does anything under the car bottom out if the tires are deflated), etc. I can provide a lot more detail on this if anyone wants it.

Emissions are based on the year of the engine itself, which you have to provide proof of from either the manufacturer or an approved dealer (we'll see how that goes).

Up until Sept. 2007 you could register the car as a "collector vehicle" which requires no inspection with the exception of a 2 year odometer check as you would be limited to 3,000 miles per year and would also need to provide proof of collector car insurance. This rule has now changed and replicas/kit cars are no longer considered collector vehicles and have to go through the full 2 year inspection. I haven't got this far yet but I assume that the '68 emission rules will apply, whatever they may be.

Not really sure if anyone in Jersey is looking at building a 40 or other replica, but if you are and need any more info I will post it.

Cheers,

Has anyone successfully done this in NJ?

- Does it help to transfer an existing title from another state that says 1966 GT40? Does having MSO only make it challenging?
- If you have to go through the extended inspection process, can a GT40 even pass an inspection, i.e it has to have bumpers, turn signals auto cancel, head lights DOT approved, etc?
- If you put a 427 or a 289 in the car but the engine is brand new built by Shelby or Roush, are you still exempt from emissions OR is that engine a 2024 engine?

This is really confusing and sounds very risky given you have to pay for everything (roller, engine, trans) upfront, wait months, and then you may be with a piece of property that you cant even sell if you cant register. I hope someone has some positive news:)

Joel K

Supporter
Tony,

I live in NJ. I’ve been building my car to meet/pass NJ Home built rules based on the booklet issued by the state.

I’d be very interested in your approach and how you make out. I’m probably 2 years away from applying for registration.

There was a very helpful guy at the NJ Asbury Park salvage inspection station. His name is Joe B, I spoke with him about 4 years ago. Not sure if he is still there, but he was the go to guy for our type of vehicles.

Tony,

I live in NJ. I’ve been building my car to meet/pass NJ Home built rules based on the booklet issued by the state.

I’d be very interested in your approach and how you make out. I’m probably 2 years away from applying for registration.

There was a very helpful guy at the NJ Asbury Park salvage inspection station. His name is Joe B, I spoke with him about 4 years ago. Not sure if he is still there, but he was the go to guy for our type of vehicles.

What are some of the notable things in the booklet?

Joel K

Supporter
What are some of the notable things in the booklet?

The below links are better than me summarizing the booklet.
I think I read that someone bought a crate engine and because the block was not dated pre-1970 it was not acceptable and needed to be replaced. I’m doing a modern engine so it will need to meet ODB2 emissions and I’m doing my best to figure that out.

Joel K

Supporter
Tony,

I think I misread your post and thought you were about to go through the process. Wondering if you have or are planning to register a kit car in NJ.

And I thought California was bad. Having lived in the "Garden State" for many years and taking cars through the DMV inspection station, I shutter to think you have to take a 40 in that place.

Joel K

Supporter
I was at the NJ DMV today picking up an inspection sticker and just chatted with one of the employees about passing emissions. He verified for kit cars or any car for that matter, the VIN in the ECU does not have to Mach the VIN on the car. He said the computer will check if the MIL is off and all the ODB II emissions readiness flags are active Including the EVAP system nd the primary and secondary cats. If it meets that, the car will pass. So I’m hopeful the way I designed my car will pass.

This was an open issue I had after speaking with the salvage inspector who does the safety inspection.

Still about 24 months away, but good to know.

Joel K

Supporter
So what then are the New Jersey emissions rules you have to comply with? The year of the engine?

This is my interpretation based on a discussion with one of the salvage inspectors at the Asbury Park office.

Sort of. The simplest rule is you can reference the year of the block and what ever the emissions requirements were for that engine and year is what you need.

There Is some deviation to that based on if the engine block is newer, but mimics a specific engine and configuration for a certain car and year.

For example, my engine was built in 2018, but it was a stock replacement engine for a 2015 Corvette Z06, so my car will need to meet 2015 emissions.

Back