SVA - age and emissions

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I have spent some time on the forum and not found it.

I'm aware that SVA has different emissions regs for different ages of vehicle/engine. If a "new" engine is fitted how likely is it to pass the SVA? can a carbed engine pass or would you have to go injection?

If you remove a CAT after SVA, are you likely to need to replace it for each MOT in order to pass emissions once more?

Thanks
Jono

SVA emissions test is based on the date the engine was manufactured (date of the block) if you are using a new block then you would have to pass the very latest emissions standard, this would be very difficult (if not impossible) with a carbed car and you would need CATs as well.

The MOT is based on the age of the car, the year on the number plate. So it depends on the number given to you by the DVLA. If its a new plate then you would have to pass the latest emissions test, if its age related (difficult to get with a new engine) then the test is related to the age on the plate. Not sure what happens with a Q plate, I imagine its related to age of engine.

The interest comes when you have an old engine, re-built to an "as new" standard, this allows you to say you have a new engine for REGISTRATION purposes, thus getting a new plate. But also allows you to use an earlier emissions test related to the age of the block, for SVA and MOT purposes.

The thing to remember is that SVA and registration are two different things. While you need an SVA test to register the car, how the car is tested bears no relation to the number plate you will end up with. Plus if you do get a new plate you wont need an MOT for 3 years.

Hope that makes sence!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
SVA emissions test is based on the date the engine was manufactured (date of the block) if you are using a new block then you would have to pass the very latest emissions standard, this would be very difficult (if not impossible) with a carbed car and you would need CATs as well.

The MOT is based on the age of the car, the year on the number plate. So it depends on the number given to you by the DVLA. If its a new plate then you would have to pass the latest emissions test, if its age related (difficult to get with a new engine) then the test is related to the age on the plate. Not sure what happens with a Q plate, I imagine its related to age of engine.

Jon
Not quite correct
MOT is based on the year of the car or year of the block whichever is the oldest.
Once you prove the block is from XXXX year the emissions will be noted on your V5 document as such and these are the ones you need to pass for MOT

IAn

Thanks Ian.

So just to be clear, the MOT and SVA emissions test should be based on the age of the engine block. If the block is re-built to an "as new" standard then it can be considered new for registration purposes. But will still attract age related emissions tests.

Could be interesting trying to convince the MOT man! "The engines from a 69 mustang, HONEST!!" ;)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jon

You have to convince the DVLA
They then record it on the vehicle documents and put the necessary emission standard on the V5

As ALL the MOT stations are on computer this should be automatic and downloded when they enter the registration number, but knowing the UK Government computer stuff it is probably located on a laptop that was left on the underground yesterday and now there is no backup in existance!
Keep your documentation and proof - you may need to go through the hoops again at a later stage - that said the Ford casting marks are well documented - the Rover block I have is a different story.

Ian

Thanks, for the info guys. The reason I ask is that I am considering building a GT40, but due to budget considerations I was hoping to use a pretty basic engine, for example something like SBF real steel advertise for around £2.5k, then upgrade later. Might have to look into getting something similar built with and old block and then upgrading later.

Presumably once you have SVA / registration you can always change the engine anyway (or else what happens if something terminal happens?) If you get a newer engine, do you have to / should you tell DVLA?

Jono

You could buy an old ford engine for about £400 or less and re-build it yourself for less than £2.5K, and get a very good engine. If you can build a GT40 then re-building an engine is child's play. The SBF is a very basic engine by modern standards.

As for your question, you would have to tell the DVLA of the engine number change (but unless you get caught they wouldn't know). But what would then happen to the emissions test I don't know. I get the feeling that unless someone really bright looks into it (unlikely) you would stick to the emissions test that it took when it was registered.

I get the feeling that unless someone really bright looks into it (unlikely) you would stick to the emissions test that it took when it was registered.

Probably safe, in my experience bright and DVLA don't go together! would be interested to know if anyone has done this though. I used to have a sierra xr4x4 converted to cosworth 24v V6, never told them about engine number change as never realised it was something I should do, don't see how they would find out really anyway.

Back