Driving lights - SVA compatible ?

Hi all,
I'd like to install the same round 5"(and a bit) driving lights that Ron, Bill and others have in their 40s. Has anyone in the UK done this ? I'm thinking it might not be possible as space is also needed for the indicators.
Any advice would be good before i get busy with the hole saw.
Thanks,
Simon.

Simon,
I have lights going in my GTD, see my thread. I will however be putting some very slim LED idicator lights in the main headlight mounting area that have the appropriate E11 marking.

I would make sure that you ensure that if you are putting the indicator in the lower recess you need to check for minium ground height clearance and also the visibility angles as laid out by VOSA. I beleive a lot of people have bought indicator lights with the corrrect markings and placed them in the main headlight recess for SVA purposes.

Brett

Simon,
Its hard to find as I haven't really been doing much on the car as I have been doing a lot of work an an extension I have been building since the start of this year... I am building up garage time credits!!

Here is a pic of the lights I have. I will need to take a pic of the indicators I will use and post maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Brett

Thanks Andy, just ordered a copy of "Kit Cars and the Law".
As i mentioned in my original post i prefer the single round driving light setup.
Just wondering about the asthetics of the indicators in the main light area. If it's for SVA i guess they can be removed after, but that might not be wise from a safety standpoint.

At this stage iam not going to open the two duct vents, so will fit indicators in them, the driving lights have sidelights in them and as there are no height regs that should work for SVA, Andy

Hi Brett,

Do you have pics or details on the E marked led indicators you intend to fit?

Cheers,
Al

My CAV GT went through the SVA in 2006 which it passed on the third attempt. Indicator lights was one of the issues. I got around the problem by fixing indicators on the perspex covers of the headlamps. It does however mean that you will have to drill holes in the cover. After passing the test I simply removed the indicators and repositioned them to their original position.

Here you go, here's a pic of the LED indicator strips I bought a few years ago and I plan to put them somewhere near where I have placed them.

Simon, if you do go the lower route with the bigger lights, drop me a line. I have a 5 3/4 holesaw that may be useful for you.

Brett

Attachments

• DSC02000.jpg
    DSC02000.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 428
Thanks for that Brett. I've seen those on e-bay - do you plan on keeping them there after SVA ?
Thanks as well for the offer of the hole saw - i've actually got a set from Machiene mart. My main concern was cutting the hole, then discovering i needed to mount both indicator and a smaller driving light in the same recess. Now i know that's not the case.

Simon, yes I plan to keep them there after SVA, but will probably recess them in, whilst I may raise and angle slightly for SVA.

Make sure whatever you buy has the appropriate E Mark.

I had to order my holesaw, if yours aren't big enough let me know.

Brett

PS Did you just see Usain Bolt in the Olympics OMG!!!!!

To get through the sva at exeter I made up two rubber mounted lamps using those that would eventually fit in to the recess .Cow floor matting was used as a source , and these were fitted like antennae from the radiator grill mesh either side the main nose opening. THey looked ridiculous but passed the test unfortuneatley so ridiculous I didnt photo them.It wasnt so much the height of them butthe angle of vision that the inspector was worried about

Huw, i guess it's a case do doing whatever is req'd to get it through the SVA.
Brett, no i didn't - i've done nothing but spend my spare time in the garage.

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
hi simon,
nice to see you the other night and great to see your car. :thumbsup:

whilst driving home was thinking do people bodyfit in general while on jacks or do most people fit with wheels on, geo in approx position and car on ground.

or doesnt it make any difference?
as i am not a builder its prob another worthless question.

keep us updated on progress
craig

Last edited:
Hi Craig, good to see you and have a chat.
I've seen build logs where it's been done either way - depends on how level a surface you're working on. I wanted to set up my geometry prior to bodyfit so i could centre the wheels in their arches, but my garage floor is as level as a rough sea. I 1st needed to level the chassis on axle stands then take ride height measurements from a false 'floor' created by a laser level. I also feel it's just easier to work on in general..gets hard on the back after a while bending down to a 40" high car.

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic Brett, I'm thinking of something similar and have been trying, without any success, to get e marked led strips to mount under the headlight.

Cheers,
Alister

I've have heard that e markings are not neccessary - they just say that they've been tested and pass a certain lux (brightness?) value. If they are not marked then the examiner will get a light meter to test them.
Andy, feel free to step in here...

Back