New CAV GT 40 owner pls help with info on inspection

HI folks,

I am uwe from germany and I will sure need the expertise of the forum in the future as I am picking up this car Friday 17th of october in Phoenix.

EBAY 250302873992

I intend to inspect it locally and then get it shipped to Germany through Netherlands which is from what I heard a perfect way to save some good money as they only charge 6% overall tax for "oldimers".
If somebody has more information on this, I would love to hear from a personal experience doing this.
I have not much information but according to the VIN
IMG_0241.JPG

this car could be number 68 ? Can anyone confirm this ?
I also wonder what kind of motor this is but probably custome made as it was an original 351 and then enlarged to be a 427 ?
I am not a car expert and for sure no expert on this one, so if anyone has information that I should have before I inspect the car do not hesitate !

thanks and will definetely will tell more about the process how to get the car into Germany and then the painful process of getting it registered as an "olditmer".

thanks

Pat

Supporter
Actually you have CAV MONO #53. The B66 is the last number on all the pre 100 CAV MONOs. The CAVs are not supplied with an engine so it could be a number of different units. I would also check and see what the title VIN says. It may be different as some states require different number combinations.

Hi Uwe
Congratulations on the purchase of your car. I do not like to be the bearer of bad news but you may encounter problems in bringing in your modern kit car as an oldtimer that by european law has to be older than 30 years. I know of several Superformance cars that were registered in various U.S. states as 1965 models being rejected by Dutch customs officials and the importers slapped with a fraud investigation and the cars imported as the model year they are.That means they will also have to license the cars with all smog equipment etc. You need to do your research on this. You may want to talk to a german CAV dealer that knows what's going on. I suggest contacting Uwe Beckbye at [email protected] before you have your car confiscated for customs fraud....
Sorry to ruin your day
Mike

Dear Mike

that is indeed bad news, this is probably killing the whole purchase, as an oldtimer registration is the only possible way to avoid big expenses for the import, yearly tax which is calculated on the 7 liters of this engine and possible technical changes .
Thanks very much for this info, I will get in contact with the german guy and hear if he can perform the necessary conversions or has any other advice how to make this happen.

thanks

Hi Uwe, you might try to get the engine block # in advance so that you have an idea of what engine is in the car - both for your general knowledge, and, for how it may impact the importation process. I would think that if the CAV is registered as a 60's car (as many are, including mine) and the engine block was also vintage (as some are) then you might have an easier time with the customs officials.

that is a good point, I read already about that, will try to find out with the seller what engine block vintage has been used.
will keep you updated about the progress, unfortunately there was not much info to find about the import and registration process but I was already sure that it will be a pain, but 29% on top of the buying price + the conversions probably are killing my budget.

thanks

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Uwe

Unfortunately as with a lot of other things the GT40 can be a major money pit as far as budgets go due to the fact there is no limit to the number of things that can and will be changed, added, renewed either because of necessity or purely because you changed your mind about the look or function of a particular item.

I built and completed my 40 in total prior to registration but now that I have driven it for some time things are being changed not because of need but just because I want to.

And so the budget changes.

But it is still the best money I have ever spent given the enjoyment and satisfaction factors.

Dimi

This car is burnt, I suggest to get this thread deleted asap and never discuss anything like cutoms or registration in public.

Dom

(had to create a new username to post)

Dear Dominic,

I assume you are belonging to CAV and I already got notice that CAV has interferred in this transaction. If you are not then I want the CAV people to know that they have killed my future interest in their product entirely, congrats. Pls be informed that I currently own a R8, 911 Turbo and Cayenne Turbo, so you lost a real customer.

I would recomment not to delete this post especially after I have learned that the imports over Rotterdam have more or less got impossible.
Talking about this is not illegal and good advice to prevent others from losses and illegal action.
So whoever has the same plans I had, learn from my investigations that with Replicas you will have the 10% + VAT route, period. Other than that is highly illegal and suspect to law enforcment. The next big problem you have is that the car is hardly to get registered as a Historical vehicle. Registration as the model year it is envolving big money and patience to mod the car according local registration rules.
If possible this will be a very expensive route. So bottom line, if you really want one and you are living in the EU, buy one that has been once registered or get a new one.
So bottom line MIKE is perfectly right and I must really thank him, to make me start investigating in the process and avoid these problems.
I envy somehow those who are living in countries that are not full of bureaucrats and can enjoy their car everyday driving.

but I thought you already agreed to purchase the car off of EBAY. That is a legitimate contract. Your due diligence should have been done prior to buying the car not after.

Ron Earp

Admin
This car is burnt, I suggest to get this thread deleted asap and never discuss anything like cutoms or registration in public.

Dom

Dom,

Why did you have to create a new user name to post? What was your old user name? If you lost your password there is a password recovery feature and you can always email an admin.

Is this the CAV car that a fellow was killed in some years ago and subsequently rebuilt?

Ron

I agreed with the seller that I hit the buy button so he sees I am serious about coming to him to check the car personally, so no problem here.
What should I do with a car that I cannot drive ?

Dom

Yeah Dom, I am curious - why should we never discuss customs or registration in public?
There are people who have gone through the process, or are intimately aware of it, that
can provide great insight and suggestions.

Ian

Pat

Supporter
IMHO I think we need to be careful about making accusations. The "CAV People" that made this particular car went out of business years ago. So I think thinly veiled recriminations are a bit uncalled for.
My personal experience with the new company that acquired their assets (Auto Futura) has been totally positive and always handled with the utmost in integrity. They didn't make my car either but they have been great in helping me update it and in providing advice and support.
I struggle to understand how they somehow interceded on the title of a car they didn't make and a sales transaction for which they had no part.
Registration is a very challenging topic for not only the replicar industry but hot rodding in general. So we need open and honest discussion and candor about addressing the issues.

you might be right but my experience was not so nice, different to tell if the whole thing was driven by the german importer of the new owner of CAV.
They sure missed a chance that a car like this could be seen more often on german roads advertising this thing for their potential sales.
With this interferences my chances of get this car registered went to zero, which made me step out of the deal.
It might be interesting to know how a CAV(aka AUTO FUTURA) importer gets a car registered, without registration no sales ? Ever thought about this ?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Dom

Yeah Dom, I am curious - why should we never discuss customs or registration in public?
There are people who have gone through the process, or are intimately aware of it, that
can provide great insight and suggestions.

Ian

I think the point is that discussing the importation/registration of a newly built car as a "1965/oldtimer" on a public board is an admission of fraud.

The posting of correct registration information and help is truly appreciated by those looking for such information, the proposal of fraudulent transactions such as mis-representing the build year of a car is a dis-service to those who support and are active on boards such as this. Ask anyone who had their California registration voided due to vehicle year mis-representaion/title tricks (such as buying an out of state title from services like "Titles Unlimited", etc.) and the dangers of such games are obvious.

I have said here and on Club Cobra that we do not have "a 1965 Ford or 'Shelby'..." We have 2008 (or whatever year of build) REPLICAS of such autos. Some US states do choose to register replicas as the year they represent but that still DOES NOT MAKE THEM A 1965!!!!

Fooling around with a countries Customs Service is a dangerous pastime.

Hi Spatz,

In our 19 years of GT40 replica production, we have sold many cars throughout Europe and several in Germany.

Two of our German road cars are featured in our picture gallery;

Gallery Pictures

We can build you a complete car to your individual spec and would be happy to assist you in getting it properly registered for legal road use.

Please visit our extensive website and contact Andy Sheldon.

Best regards,
Scott

I think the point is that discussing the importation/registration of a newly built car as a "1965/oldtimer" on a public board is an admission of fraud.

The posting of correct registration information and help is truly appreciated by those looking for such information, the proposal of fraudulent transactions such as mis-representing the build year of a car is a dis-service to those who support and are active on boards such as this. Ask anyone who had their California registration voided due to vehicle year mis-representaion/title tricks (such as buying an out of state title from services like "Titles Unlimited", etc.) and the dangers of such games are obvious.

I have said here and on Club Cobra that we do not have "a 1965 Ford or 'Shelby'..." We have 2008 (or whatever year of build) REPLICAS of such autos. Some US states do choose to register replicas as the year they represent but that still DOES NOT MAKE THEM A 1965!!!!

Fooling around with a countries Customs Service is a dangerous pastime.

I agree (which is why whenever someone questions SB100 in CA, I point out why it needs
to be followed). But, Dom's comments made it sound like such discussions should not
take place in public. Also, at this point, Dom stating that the car is "burnt" is just as
disingenuous - if someone else buys it, and then tries to register it correctly, should some
official stumble across this site, find this post, and see that statement, well, that would
stir up a bit of trouble as well, don't you think?

Ian

"yes dom sucks, he needs to explain what he really means with burnt, at least for novices like me"

I think what he means is that the authorities (The Man) scan these forums and now have this car's vin number on record, making it impossible to import this car as an oldtimer. It has, in my humble opinion, nothing to do with physical damage to the automobile but then maybe he knows the history of the car....

This whole thing is strange as there is a lot of confusion about this topic amongst enthusiasts and bureaucrats alike.
While a 2008 kitcar has to be licensed as such in California in other states is a legal 1965 Cobra. What gives a loser country like germany the right to doubt paperwork from a proud state like Arizona? If it is good enough for one burocracy why isn't it good enough for another. If a person buys something with legal paperwork from the state of Arizona and imports it to his home country why would that paperwork suddenly be no good anymore?
Personally I think Bill Gates could win that argument in the European courts but I would be afraid to touch it......
Mike

Spatz - you have a PM

Back