New IVA manual

Hmmm, quick glance this morning between meetings I've seen two things. Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

1/ Exhaust Noise is down to 99Db from 101Db
2/ All vehicles pre-1st August 1986 have to now pass emissions. They say except a rotary engine pre-1987. Is rotary being defined as a Wankel style engine?

Will have a look for some more, but can anyone comment on the above?

Brett

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Brett

I also saw that but was not that sure on actual dates without checking SVA manual so just presumed my memory has slid among the timing line!

Ian

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
1/ noise- no you are not wrong the limit is now down to 99db

2/ with regard to emissions the new IVA is exactly the same as the SVA except now pre August 1987 rotary engines are also exempt along with 2stroke engines.

pre 1st August 1986 C0<=4.5% Hc<=1200ppm
1st August 1986 to 31st July 1992 C0<=3.5% Hc<=1200ppm
post 1st August 1992 C0<= 0.3% Hc<=200ppm lambda 0.97 to 1.03
and idle C0<=0.5%

nothing to worry about especially if you have a 1986 rotary engine...

1/ noise- no you are not wrong the limit is now down to 99db

2/ with regard to emissions the new IVA is exactly the same as the SVA except now pre August 1987 rotary engines are also exempt along with 2stroke engines.

pre 1st August 1986 C0<=4.5% Hc<=1200ppm
1st August 1986 to 31st July 1992 C0<=3.5% Hc<=1200ppm
post 1st August 1992 C0<= 0.3% Hc<=200ppm lambda 0.97 to 1.03
and idle C0<=0.5%

nothing to worry about especially if you have a 1986 rotary engine...

Craig,
I thought that engines pre-1st August 1975 only had to have a Visual test at the moment. The way I am reading the new proposed legislation is that this will be removed, so my 1970 302 will now have to pass emmissions?

Brett

Another section Fuel Tanks 03A:
Required Standard #8 - A Fuel Tank must not be located in, or form part of the passenger compartment, or other compartment integral with it.

Required Standard #10 - Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment.

This may cause a problem for some builds on the way that the filling necks come down?

Brett

Craig Gillingham

Craig,
I thought that engines pre-1st August 1975 only had to have a Visual test at the moment. The way I am reading the new proposed legislation is that this will be removed, so my 1970 302 will now have to pass emmissions?

Brett

ahhhhh fook you are quite right.....just compared again and they indeed have lumped pre 1st August 1975 into the old band of 1st Aug 75 and 31Jul 86. little buggers!!! - think you did read it corrrectly...

so all cars (exept pre 87 rotary) up to 1st August 1986 will need visual + C0<=4.5% and HC<=1200ppm

Craig Gillingham

Re: New BIVA manual

also required:

• OEM type horn
  • Rear registration plate position for permanant fixing plate (visable and upright)
  • If imobilisor used on anti theft it must be CAT1 approved
  • 17 digit VIN number (no less) for non amature and low volume builds
will update when more items spotted / final draft.

This may cause a few problems if its in the final draft bias brakes are no longer allowed to be pinned the nuts must be welded on and the threads welded to stop any type of adjustment.Lets hope we can come up with a solution to over come this one.
regards mick.(southern gt)

Hi guys
new IVA test form requires engine powerto be stated in KW/RPM, can anyone advise how to achieve this figure ie conversion chart or calcs etc, engine is standard 1969 302 + 4 x webbers (emissions will require some serious effort).
The form neither asks for engine date of manufacture , so who decides what emission spec applies?
cheers
John.

Wohoo, just checked the manual in the link (thanks Dave) and the August 1 1975 date has been kept.... a relief for me I can tell you!!!

Brett

Tony,
thanks for formula, it appears VOSA did not know either, they say just state RPM, I think I should stick to car buiding and restos,form filling and bureaucracy is just not me,
cheers
John.

There’s an interesting article in this months edition of Complete KitCar, where they re-submitted a Cobra (which had just passed SVA) to see what would happen on IVA inspection, needless to say, it failed.

However the point is raised for me are the E-marking requirements for windscreens. Mine being a build on a very poor part-built kit (circa 2001) has a kite-marked BS logo and is therefore not acceptable – therefore a new screen is now on the wanted list !! :furious:

Other long-term builders may need to check this point

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><o:p><P><SPAN style=
The only positive point I see is that I have a spare screen I can use when aligning the body :worried:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

Regards<o:p></o:p>
Andy<o:p></o:p>
</SPAN>

this IVA test is a bloody joke.....you work on your car , spending you hard earned money...then over night they change the rules....no notice time, no cooling of period......so you have to start all over again!!!!!!! someone remind me where the fun is!!!!!!!!!!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have just got my 40 through the old SVA, whilst I was there I asked the question regarding fuel tanks etc under the new IVA, the reply back from the VOSA man was that if the tank is protected by a “bulkhead” then it forms no part of the passenger compartment, the filler neck posed a different problem. What he suggested was to sleeve and seal the filler neck hence providing a “bulkhead” what is important is that the bulkhead is sealed with a suitable mastic.<o:p></o:p>
The upshot are the words bulkhead and sealed, proof of this process will go a long way with the IVA, obviously this only works with cars with tanks independent to the chassis.<o:p></o:p>
Hope this makes some sort of sense <o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

Back