uk registration

hi guys...just a quick question..........once the car has had its SVA...you need to register it.....this is where you get given the plate....either a Q plate or the car is marked as new.......what happens here, do you have to take the car along or do you just take all your reciepts and paperwork along???????....do they interview you about the build.....or is it just some dorris sat behind a counter with a big rubber stamp....???????????????? any help appreciated

Hi,
I had to take mine to the local office for inspection, though i have heard that lately they dont inspect all the cars. worth phoning them to get the latest

Jerry

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul W and I did mine at the Mitcham SVA shop and on the way back stopped at DVLA Wimbledon to have the car inspected by them (Middle of Wimbledon fortnight so traffic was stupid) - they needed to see the Chassis number stamped into the chassis - pointed out where it was and they decided not to even climb on the trailer to check - ditto for the engine number!

But they were not happy doing this and wanted to send their inspector to our property for the inspection. We chose the route we did as it was very time critical for the LM Classic in 2006 and it paid off.

After that they took all my receipts for the major stuff chassis, brakes, engine. box, instruments and kept them overnight before issuing an 06 plate and depletin my account with about £250 for their troubles. (I had a carrier bag of receipts for screws, filler, fluids etc that she did not want.)
Tell the DVLA you want a new reg and not a Q and so long as you have the necessary paperwork to "prove" newness they will oblige

It is not rocket science but just need loads of patience to deal with the Govt departments (patience is not my strong suit)

Ian

After SVA I went to register my vehicle at the DVLA in Southampton with the usual suitcase full of receipts. Even before looking at the reciepts they insisted on booking an inspection. By way of receipts they just wanted the major ones for body, chassis etc.
The inspection was arranged for the following week at a test centre in Botley. At the inspection the guy certainly was very thorough. He checked chassis/engine nos and the condition ie new/used of each major part(s) as identified on the forms I'd filled in at the DVLA office.
As Ian said no rocket science just a slow steady process.

Alister

sva passed straight round to dvla 100 yds away but oh no needed home inspection and major component only reciepts . This was done with in the week and had to pick up disc from office 20 miles away .They dont make it easy for themselves

I am having mine tomorrow.

I handed all my receipts for the major stuff chassis, brakes, engine. box, instruments last week along with cheque.

I booked it in to have the car inspected this morning and even arranged for trailer. Inspector phoned up asking when I wanted the inspection. Told him it was already booked in and I would see him this morning - got told to cancel trailer as it was an "outside inspection" and the earliest he could do it was tomorrow.

It is easy to see the Chassis number stamped into the chassis and we have loosened the starter motor to show him the engine number.

So have to agree with others - they don't make it easy for themselves and yes you need a touch of patience. However, I don't think there is anything else I can do but be there show car and prove newness.

Ian

Met the guy and the inspection was over pretty quickly.

Engine block and VIN no. checked, paperwork tidied up and a quick handshake.

Hi guys

SVA ceases on April 29, so today I downloaded an application form from the VOSA site, made a phonecall to verify the fee to be paid, only to be informed that VOSA ceased accepting applications on March 20 and I would have to apply for the new IVA test but they have no forms for this test - so can't have an SVA and can't apply for an IVA. Anyone else in this situation?

John:cry:

hi john....damn!!!!!!!!!! what a pain, that is really bad of them not to have the new forms ready.... where do we go from here???? and also not to let people know this was happening especially as everyone thought the close date was the 29th april...

I was bought the registration 40 OK as a 40th birthday pressie (my better halfs idea of a funny gift) wondered if it would find a more suitable home amongst the UK GT40 community am open to offers.. Many thanks for looking in Gregor

Back