Possible changes in establishing car values in CA

Has anyone heard any rumors about Calif. getting the insurance companies to forward the insured value of your vehicle to DMV and using this to establish license fees? Just an ugly rumor heard thru an insurance bonding agent and looking for any substantiation. I don't believe this would ever fly but it is worth checking.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Be afraid. Washington use to do this and it was not unsual to have tabs costing $800 plus per year. Eventually a public initiative was passed for $35 tabs. Funny though they still cost me $85 per year. Seems a rapid transit tax is still in place with no tangable improvement to the transit system. Now we face a 9 billion dollar budget shortfall and a looming state income tax. Maybe its time to move to California. :stunned:

Do not rush to CA Neal. We are already way in the hole budget wise and the brilliant people of CA voted in a multi billion dollar bond issue to establish a high speed rail system from San Francisco to LA. It is suppose to offer cheap fares ($50) AND CUT DOWN POLLUTION! As it costs about $10 to ride BART from Livermore to SF(and it is heavily subsidized), I have to wonder how much tax money will have to go to this venture. It is easy to believe that the state might start taxing the car population even higher to support this boon doggle.

Bud,

I am sure Howard can chime in on this, but BART is a very expensive operation,
and would probably be more expensive than this high speed rail being proposed.
I know a guy who worked on the computer systems that handle BART's train
scheduling and real time ticketing system - the high speed rail will not need
the ticketing system which is a huge expense.

He told me that on multiple occasions independent auditors were brought in to
look at BART's cost, and they all came back with the same solution. Make BART
free and cut out the infrastructure that handles the ticketing system (employees
and hardware), and BART would run a profit solely based upon the government
subsidies. The real time ticketing system is a huge albatross. Especially because
of the various rates depending on length of trip. NYC has a single ride fee regardless
of where you get on or off. It is much cheaper to operate that way.

Ian

Back