Import to USA

Can anyone help with info on bringing a right hand drive car across to the US.

I am being transferred to the USA and want to bring my South African right hand drive GT40 across.

Will it be possible to register this as a special catagory for road use ?

Alan

Good News! Nobody here cares if your car is right hand drive. You may want to look into the emission rules pertaining to your new home state. Licensing laws vary widely in our union of states and can really screw you up.
Import duty is low specially if you go to the customs office and have one of their employees help you or even better free if you claim your car as "personal effects". I would advise against letting a shipping agent/broker handle that for you.
Good Luck and Welcome!
Mike

Allan,
I have some experience in importing to the U S. It is pretty involved. If you send me your email address I can give you some pointers on the entry process. Will have to look up the forms etc. Licensing in each state is different and can be a hassel, but something you will have to put up with. Some states it would be easier to sell yours and buy what you want over here. Sometimes it is easier for the manufacturers to jump through the hoops for you. Since you are comming with it, it may be as Mike has stated. If not then there are some pitfalls that you definitely have to avoid. Mine almost didn't come into the country due to a minor oversight on the sellers end.

Bill

Mike / Bill

Thank's for the replies ! good to know I can get a right hander on the road. I will review emissions but think I have an advantage as this car has been built to closly replicate an original and has a fully rebuilt 1968 motor, which from reading the site seems to help on this issue.

I am going to bring my car as it has been a long term personal build and is part of my life.

Bill any info on forms and issues you may have had will be appreciated greatly my mail is [email protected]

Best regards,

Alan

Back