SVA and registering a "non registered" car

This question has maybe already been asked, and if so I appologise.
What is the best way to register and SVA a kit which has no receipts for the build or the original kit? Car has been started many years ago and not finished . I would be stripping the kit down and rebuilding it complete with build photos. I would not want to have it registered as a "Q" so could maybe send some of the major mechanicals away and get them refurbed to as new condition and then get receipts but this would not be possible for the body etc etc. I have read articles about buying an old ford V8 for example and the fitting the V8 which will go into the kit into the car and then changing the engine details round for this car then using this as the V5 for the Kit. Has anybody had any experience of this ? and if so how did they go about it.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Getting the car through SVA should not be a problem as they are only checking that the car is suitable for use on the public highway according to their rules, irrespective of the source of the parts. However, when you apply for the test they may need reassuring that the car is genuinely amateur built and not a small car manufacturer trying to avoid type approval testing. This is where the build photos will be useful - they did ask for build photos when I applied for my SVA test.

For registration of the car, it is true that they require receipts for all the major components. In my case I had no receipts for the kit as I wasn't given any and the company (old Roaring Forties) went bust shortly after having supplied a partial kit, but they accepted the original invoices. I understand that in order for the car to be treated as a new build and therefore avoid a Q plate, all major components, ie kit, engine and gearbox/transaxle, should be new - but they will allow one component to not be new. In my case it was the engine block, in order to avoid the necessity for emissions equipment. My engine was built up using new components in the old block, which they accepted. I am afraid I am not being very helpful here for your particular case and I am certainly not an expert on these matters - I have just experienced the process. I would suggest that in order to get a definitive answer to your questions, you talk to your local DVLA office. They usually have an individual who deals with all kit car registrations and should therefore have all the answers. In my case it was a lady who was very friendly and helpful. If they accept that completely refurbished components can be treated as new you should be OK. The dreaded Q plate should be avoided at all costs!

Chris

Thanks for your reply , seems like there is no real way of avoiding the "Q" unless anybody else has an ideas. What is the general opinion of a "Q" do you think it will substantially reduce the price of a finished car? Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I read somewhere that it is possible to get a non Q plate onthe car without having new receipts.

But it has to be done at the first registration - once the Q has been given it is there for all times.

I also believe that when you do the first reg if you have a "private plate" you are more likely to get this applied

How much does a Q reduce the value - about 25 - 30% on resale would be my estimate but as these cars vary so much in fit and finish it is really difficult to get a definative figue.

(Back when I was searching GTD's went for £25 - 30k on normal plate and I found 1 at £17.5k nut it was on a Q and not painted cheapest I found was a Tornado on a Q with a Rover mill at £14.5k so massive variations)

Ian

Back