DRB#5 Registered

I just got back from the "Tag Office" in my county in Ga. Got my car registered without a hitch. In Ga. all you need is a bill of sale basicly for your registration.
Since my car was imported to the U S, they required that a police agency officer/offical or tag office offical inspect the car and make sure the serial number on the car was legitimate. They basicly have to submit it to Interpol to make sure it didn't or doesn't belong to another car or is not a stolen number. I fortunately had the privilege of managing the epidural of one our counties finest. Her husband was an officer as well, and as it came to pass he is a Mustang nut. He an I got to talking after the joyous birth about cars and I mentioned I needed it inspected. Several weeks after the delivery. all three came by the house and he got to crawl all over it. He signed the paper work and it was done.
The last hurdle was insurance. I had tried Grundys, Classic Car and several others. Some were inordinately expensive. Others wouldn't insure it as I had a speeding ticket or two in the past. So I called my insurance company that I have had since my 20s. They said they would have to research the vin # as it didn't match the total number of digits for a Ford product. After about 4 hours they call back asking a few more questions. "Is it a Fairlane. Is it four door or two. Is it 6 cylinders or 8?" they never asked the valuation of the car. All I wanted was liability and theft protection. They then told me they would insure it for the grand total of less than $400/year. I just have to send them some pics of the car.
Next stop was the tag office. They looked at the bill of sale and asked if I had the car since the date of the bill of sale(29-11-02). I told them it took 3 months top get to the U S and she figured up the advelorum tax from that date. No fines or penalties for the 6 1/2 years I had the car. That bill was.......$57. She even asked if I wanted a historic tag. I declined!!!!
I will post the work it took to get it fired up shortly in my build log.

Bill

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
This is great news, Bill. I hope my registration trials are every bit as challenging as yours!

That scotch is still ready and waiting, by the way... :thumbsup:

Congrats Bill! You must be elated!

Seems like only yesterday (Has it really been 6 1/2 years?), when you received that lump from OZ and discovered that it wasn't quite as advertised. BUT, all that is a distant memory now. You have finally arrived at the end of your build, you're on the road, and what an incredible transformation it has been!!!!

In order not to tempt fate, may I suggest a new radar/laser detector to avoid any sudden increase in your insurance rate? You will soon discover that stomping on the loud pedal is an irresistable temptation. That epidural "get out of jail free card" won't keep you out of traffic court forever.

Have fun and keep us posted on performance/driving impressions!

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Well done Bill ! If you are anything like me, the rego success will sound the death-knell on the remaining 50 minor things left to do. Given the choice of a drive in the '40 or more work in the garage you have inhabited for years - no contest !!

Have Fun !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

That's a great effort you've put in over the last 6 1/2 years. The photos in your build thread show an amazing transformation! As good as they look, I'm sure they don't do justice to how it appears in the flesh. You must be very proud of your efforts and a tad excited about now being able to drive it.

Best wishes and thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to help me with mine from time to time over the last few years.

Best wishes,

Russ

Congratulations Bill ,how about some pics of it on the road.
Us Ozzys are envious of your rego process if only it was that easy here. Let us know your impressions of driving the car ,love to hear what you think. My car it the best therapy for a crap day at work.

Darrell DRB#46

I really appreciate the kind words from you guys. As easy/fortunate as the registration was, there is still a ton of work to do before Tuesday when I begin the trek to Wisconsin. We plan to take it easy going up and to try to take in a few sight s along the way. I made a list of things to, and it took up 2 1/2 pages. Some minor some not. The car will be drivable and will go under its own power. It definitely won't be up to snuff for any high speed runs til I get back home and finish some of the work needed. Then on to the dyno for the real numbers. So much of my build is untested by me and the shop that installed the ignition and some of the other pieces. The testing phase will begin. I will report all in my build thread. Hopefully I will be able to take a break tonight and report some if not most of it. There is still some work that was uncovered that needs to be done. Most of it will have to wait til the fund recover. My wife has beeen more than understanding this last coupple of weeks. She tempers it with the fact that it is finally getting done, and she wants that almost as much as I do.
So I am off to the shop to get some more done. Will try tonight to get some of the pics needed to show the progress and the future plans for the car. Thanks again for the support. It helps more than you know to open the forum and find all you guys noticing the work.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Bill!!!! Major hurdle!

Insurance - I've not yet had the conversations with the agents but I'm certain they will not be any fun...

Back