Registration of Replica in North Carolina - Anyone done it?

Ron Earp

Admin
NC has a new law concerning replicas that went into effect October 1st:

http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/North-Carolina-Law.pdf

SEMA helped to get this law through and what it allows you to do is obtain a title that is of the year, make, and model of the car that you are replicating. This allows you certain allowances for safety, inspection, and emissions which we need for a car like a T70 Spyder to go on the road. The title will state "REPLICA" so there is no trying to pass the car off as original, therefore, let's not open that line of discussion on this thread.

Over the last five business days I have probably spent about three hours trying to talk to someone in the DMV about this new law. Everyone I've come in contact with is clueless about the law and I have not spoken to a person yet that can tell me what the procedure is for getting a replica title.

Have any of you NC residents gone down this road yet? And if so, what did you do?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

I titled a CAV GT very recently In Raleigh, NC. The process took me 4 days to complete.

This is what I had to do:
  1. You need a bill of sale for the motor showing purchased price and engine number.
  2. A bill of sale for the transmission showing purchased price and gearbox number.
  3. Bill of sale for the car/kit showing purchased price and correct VIN #.
  4. Invoices for all parts and labor or price of "roller" if you bought a turn key minus car.
  5. MSO (Manufacturers certificate of origin)
  6. A indemnity bond (Form MVR 92D) for 1.5 times of the value of the vehicle. (You need valuations from 2 different dealers that are registered NC car dealers. You will then need a indemnity bond for the amount of the highest valuation)
  7. A title application. (MVR-1)
  8. An affidavit for custom-built vehicle, (Form MVR-55), which is a notarized statement that describes the vehicle's assembly from new and used parts.
  9. An inspector's report, as this special type of vehicle must be inspected for safety and drivability. (Please do not go to the Duram office. I lost a full day there after making a booking 2 days in advance. The inspector did not show up at all) I went to the office at 3231 Avent Ferry Road,Raleigh.
  10. Prove of insurance. BTW. Nation Wide insured my car without any restrictions.
NOTE: Make sure that your indemnity bond very clearly state that the vehicle is, in my case, a 1966 Ford GT40 REPLICA. Use the exact wording on all documents. I had to get a Rider for my indemnity bond because the wording was not the exact same as the wording on the MVR-1. My car was titled Sep 19 and I am still waiting for the Title document because of this.

PS. Make sure that your engine, transmission and chassis (VIN) numbers are clearly visible for photographs. All number must be stamped. VIN number must be stamped/punched into a permanent segment of your chassis. They do not except removable chassis/VIN plates. I had both.

Very important: DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR FOR INSPECTION IN THE RAIN.

They did not look at a single safety item on my car, not a single thing, not even the lights.

TOTAL COST $3150 (TAX, indemnity Bond, Registration and Tags)

Good luck and call me if you need any more information.

Johann

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Johann,

did you take advantage of the new SEMA law?

The way you describe is the way I understood the process to be up until this point. Essentially you end up with a bonded vehicle that is a special construction, which is all fine.

But I was thinking that the SEMA law would allow for one to do it without bonding the vehicle.

When all was said and done did you end up with a 65 or 66 GT40 replica title?

Thanks for the information. So you've got your car on the road now, fantastic! I'd love to see it some time.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
Johann, great information, much appreciated. Incidentally, the Avent Ferry office is the one I've been trying to call for a week and actually talk to an inspector. Can't get them to call me back.

This helps a lot. I'll work with RCR to get the docs I need and thanks for the info on the numbers for the tranny and engine.

The procedure sounds a bit like when I titled my Torino as an antique. They came to look at it, checked VIN and engine, but didn't check any safety equipment, nada. Got an antique title for the Torino and it never has the be inspected or looked at again for as long as I own the car, sweet. Good thing too. Cause that monster BB won't pass emissions for sure.

Thanks again and once the rain clears out I'd love to have a look at your GT40.

Ron

Ron,

Do yourself a huge favor and go to the inspectors office in person. Their telephone support "sucks"! Do it between 08H00 and 10H00 and speak to an inspector. They were very friendly after they saw my GT40. Just make sure that you take a lot off pics of your built and complete car.

I would love to show you the new w/shop and the 40, when the weather improves

Ron Earp

Admin
An update to my titling the RCR T70 Spyder here in NC.

Johann's list is spot on but a couple of things have changed since the new SEMA law went into effect that I listed in post #1 of this thread. The biggest change is that an indemnity bond is not needed and you don't need a title application.

If I were to do it again I'd do it in this order (refer to Johann's excellent list for details of forms etc):

1. Get two written appraisals for the car from two different dealers.
2. Get the bills of sale for the engine, tranny, and chassis.
3. Get the MSO for the car.
4. An affidavit for custom-built vehicle, (Form MVR-55), which is a notarized statement that describes the vehicle's assembly from new and used parts.
5. Call the DMV Theft bureau to schedule an inspector to come and generate the inspector's report.

Now, at this point the inspector will send in the report and you're supposed to receive a title in about thirty days. Then, with that title you take items 1,2,3,4, & 5 down to the DMV Title and Tags office and you should be able to get a license plate. I'm current at the stage of waiting for the title to arrive.

As things progress I'll update this thread. This is definitely not a pain free process but I hope once complete I'll have a street legal tagged car that also has two valid sanctioning body race car log books, a unique feat I think.

Ron,

I am glad that the "bond" is not a requirement any more. That would have been a $1350 saving for me. I suppose that if you take the car to the inspection office, you can wait for your paperwork (that is what I did) and can title the car immediately.

We should take the cars out for a celebration when you get your tags.

Ron Earp

Admin
I hate you had to do the bond route. I'm not sure what is causing this change, I suppose the SEMA law, but the inspector didn't know anything about that. I showed him the law and he still said he knew nothing of it.

Yes, we'll get the cars out together in a few weeks. Maybe we can scare up one or two other GT40s. Lynn Larsen has a Sabre in Raleigh, Jim Dewar has a nice RF that I've only seen in pictures and he's down around Hillsbourgh. Could easily be 70F in January here in NC, although you wouldn't know it by today!!!

I got two PMs about the title and the 1966 year thing as well as Lola. This new SEMA law allows the car to be titled as the YEAR, MAKE, and MODEL of the car you're replicating but the title will have REPLICA so nobody will think it is original. That isn't done to fool people or to pass it as an original, it is done to allow you to avoid emissions and safety laws that a car like this could never pass.

Ron Earp

Admin
Finally, got the registration done!

Info over here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/18681-build-diary-rcr-lola-t70-spider.html#post289199

If there are questions on the NC procedure I might be able to help you understand some of the muddy places. While the "SEMA" law is fairly straightforward, the procedure to finish it up is not. If you have a look at what Johan and I have written then you pretty much have it.

Johan, time for that beer! Now if the damn weather would cooperate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations on the Triple-Crown! :)

That's gotta be a relief....

Now to read the stories about how the public likes your Lola as you cruise to the local hot-spots! :D

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm going to try and drive around the neighborhood in the late afternoon, mainly to check out basic running parameters like oiling, cooling, leaking, and so on. If the weather gets a bit better and the car is doing well then yes, we should try and get them out!

How is your GT40 doing? Running well and everything sorted for road use?

Ron,

Everything is sorted and is a BLAST to drive, even in this cold weather. Our new AC and heater unit is fantastic.

Have fun in the neighborhood and don't ruffle to many feathers.

We can take the cars to the coffee meet at Brier Creek one Saturday morning when you are happy that all is well.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,

Everything is sorted and is a BLAST to drive, even in this cold weather. Our new AC and heater unit is fantastic.

Excellent, I'd like a ride please!

I did get out this afternoon for about 30 mins. Zip tied the plate on and drove about six miles. Seems ok. I'm going to give it the once over before loading on the trailer. If the track weekend goes well then I don't see why we can't take it out on the streets for extending outings.

Was cold but fun!

outing1small.jpg

outing2small.jpg

outing3small.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, I got a new plate for the T70. I really thought to get "Lola T70", but I didn't want to be explaining that no, it isn't a Lola, it is a replica of a Lola. Plus, most people don't know what a Lola is either so that would be another issue. In the end I went through a lot of variations and settled on RCR T70. Fran is going to have to pay some royalties or advertising fee to me per mile, but such is life.

The weather has been downright rotten over the last few weeks. Never seen NC weather this wet or cold this late in the year for a long time. Daytime highs hardly get out of the 40s or lower 50s, where they are typically around 60-65F. This coming weekend is our first race weekend and we're generally in shorts and tees. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better and we'll have good weekend weather and some nice days next week to head out for a street drive.

For those doing a registration in NC it really is a simple process under the new laws. My hot rod building neighbors love it too - no more bonds, no more funky titles, etc. If anyone is in need of assistance on the process PM me or ask here, I'll try to help and I am sure Johan will too.

plate.JPG

Back