Has anyone gone through custom vehicle title in Illinois?

Have any of you fellow Illinois replica builders/owners gone through the title and registration process? I have found the paper work that needs to be filed but I can't find a checklist on what the safety inspection is looking for.

Any help or experiences appreciated.

Andy

Andy

Hello fellow Illinois-ian. I have not personally been through the process yet (still looking for a car), but thanks to Chuck I know Illinois currently uses the NSRA safety check (via the state troopers).
NSRA home
It is my understanding you can contact the state police in Springfield for more details. If you do find out any specifics, please do post them or PM me. Thanks.

Eric

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I was probably the first in Illinois to use the new titling laws a few years ago. We went to the Sec of State office with a print out of the exact regulation from the Sec of State web page. We had to use an NSRA safety inspector that had the NSRA safety check sheet that is(was) used. The State police didn't do the inspections at that time, I'd be surprised if they do now. I think that was one of the aspects of the law that made it easier to pass. The safety inspection was already established and so was the safety inspection procedure by NSRA. If you PM me I can give you a safety inspector in your area. We scheduled ours a few days ahead of time, he inspected, we gave him a ride and also a donation to NSRA, although it is a free service. I believe, at the time, non members were asked but not required, to make a donation. Plus he had to drive about 40 miles to get here. With the NSRA inspection sheet,Sec of State print out, MSO and needed receipts..it was a pretty quick and painless procedure. I felt lucky that I didn't need the process before the law was enacted :).
For me, it's always nice having a car guy look at your work and compliment you. NSRA guys are car guys.

Last edited:
I heard a rumor that the NSRA was no longer involved and that you must go through the state police. The NSRA did my car in the fall of 2006. I might be in need of their services again so I am interested in the outcome.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Hello<o:p></o:p>
New to this forum and site, signed up just for this thread. Didn’t know if anyone was still in need of answers on titling in Illinois, if so just let me know because it is quite lengthy and confusing.. <o:p></o:p>
I am in what I think may be the tail end of titling in Illinois, and this process for me is approaching its 6th month. All I can say it is the most ill conceived process I have ever been involved in. Let me also say I do not fault anyone outside of the secretary states office that tried working with them to put something in place.<o:p></o:p>
If you would like a step by step I have been keeping a list along the way.<o:p></o:p>

Mcdonald

If you get a chance, post your step-by-step list. I'm a ways off from titling, but the information would be good to have in a post. I'm sure others will be interested and once you post it they will be able to use the site's search function.

Eric

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Hello<o:p></o:p>
New to this forum and site, signed up just for this thread. Didn’t know if anyone was still in need of answers on titling in Illinois, if so just let me know because it is quite lengthy and confusing.. <o:p></o:p>
I am in what I think may be the tail end of titling in Illinois, and this process for me is approaching its 6th month. All I can say it is the most ill conceived process I have ever been involved in. Let me also say I do not fault anyone outside of the secretary states office that tried working with them to put something in place.<o:p></o:p>
If you would like a step by step I have been keeping a list along the way.<o:p></o:p>

Since it is a state category that hadn't changed much when I looked it over a few months ago, I find that unbelievable. I'd guess the location listed on your avatar has more to do with it. It was as simple as any other vehicle I have registered. I did take a print out of the State ordinance with me. I figured that it would be a headache for most since it is rarely used( percentagewise to vehicles in general) and they just used the print out as a guide. Pretty straightforward to me.I did ave all my invoices for taxes,but other than the NSRA inspection sheet...and some $$$,It didn't take more than 20 minutes...at the longest.
Maybe Andy, who I sent a PM to with the inspector(s) names, could post what he found?? I haven't heard from him since, so I figured it was going along easily.
Sounds like you have given me another good reason to dislike the northern country.
Down here it's referred to as Crook county.

Last edited:
Titling a GT40 in Illinois (Superformance)

I wanted to share my experience getting a GT40 titled in Illinois in the hopes it speeds up the experience of a few others. First of all, be prepared to be patient. I started the process in May and received my title and plates finally a week ago, like I said, be patient.

There are instructions on the website at cyberdriveillinois.com but they are a little vague. The key things I learned are the following:
1) There is a nice woman named Louanne who will help shepherd the process; you cannot do this at a normal secretary of state facility
2) Make sure you have all receipts showing cost of chassis, body, engine, and trans
3) Draft a statement of construction that includes part numbers for the engine and trans in the statement. Explain how it was built and where parts were sourced from; include 4 pictures of the car
4) After submitting paperwork, be prepared to wait 30 days before you hear anything
5) Temp plates will then be shipped so you can drive the car
5) An inspector will need to come to your house to view the car. Ensure the following:
- VIN plate is attached
- Chassis has a number punched in it that matches the VIN
- You are very nice
6) Wait again up to 45 days
7) Title will show up

What I found that worked:
1) I would call Louanne to get my case number and ensure the case was tracked
2) Worked with inspector to find the best time to get him a chance to see the car. Usage of email was key. He only spends 15 minutes with the car
3) Do whatever you can to ensure the car does not need to get bonded. Having a car bonded is quite expensive and the state will go this route if you do not have all the relevant documentation.

Overall the process was not painful but it was long and drawn out.

How to Apply for Title and Registration for a Custom Vehicle and Street Rod

Back