Registering in CA with Oregon Plates

My first post, hopefully this hasn't been discussed before. I am brokering a car for my friend who purchased his ERA GT40 Mk1 from Jim Holden, the green/yellow car. The owner lives in Oregon now and titled and registered the car as a 1993 ERA. I have a gentleman from CA interested in the car but has been told that since the car has already been titled and registered in Oregon as a 1993 ERA, that is how it will have to come into CA and will be required to pass smog. The car has a 1967 Boss 302. How can it be smogged as a 1993 Ford? I do not believe it would be eligible for SB100. We are thinking it just might not be possible to pull off in CA. I would love to buy the car myself but have the same concern. The owner has the original bill of sale and build date paperwork from ERA, I wonder if he could apply for a new title and explain he made a mistake, register based on the engine or body in Oregon, get a new title and then meet CA requirements? Mike

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mike as much as I would like to tell you "how it can be done" I must tell you that California is getting very good at checking up on ANY hot rod of ANY type that is claimed to be a 1965 - 66 model year. My advice is to do it legally. You could drop me a email and I'll be happy to talk you about this on the phone if you like.

You could check with the Cobra Forum Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site! - Club Cobra

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum as far as Calif DMV stuff goes.

Mike,

Kit cars existed in California long before the SB100 exemption clause, and you should be able to register it without gaining an SB100 exemption. It should be easily possible to register this car in California because it's equipped with 1967 engine; thus it will only have to meet 1967 emissions standards. My Cobra has a 1966 427 and had to wear a PCV valve, and meet very basic emissions requirements, that's it. When it was first titled in California, it was given a CARB sticker indicating that it only has to meet 1966 emissions requirements.

It's my understanding that SB100 enables people to do away with that sort of thing, and that's the appeal--you can have a brand new car with a brand new engine, and not have to meet any standards at all.

As Howard said, there are a LOT of people with a LOT more smarts on this than me!!!! You'd be well-advised to put this query on the Cobra forum. But your friend shouldn't be worried. If he had a brand new motor, it would be a different story, but his 1967 block is his saving grace I think.

Thanks guys, looking more promising already! I will check out the link although I think this car will be unique in that it is already registered in another State but if I can register in CA using the engine year, I am golden. Mike

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If CA is anything like NV then its a crap shoot and depends who you get at the DMV and whether they understand the rules themselves. My KVA was built and titled in 1993, with a '69 block and I was told the engine year dictates smog requirements for an ASVE (assembled vehicle). Unfortunately here in Washoe County (Reno) anything post '67 requires a smog, so I ended up going the NV SB equivalent, even so it took 6 months to sort out correctly.

FWIW I registered my Ultima under the SB here in late November 08 and was still only #46 out of an allocated 100/yr. So anyone that can't get one of the elusive CA SB100's should maybe consider registering under a NV address.....

If you decide to ultimately sell the car (I saw it was listed on Ebay and it looks to be a very nice and well finished example) then if you have all the original documentation from ERA and can prove first regsitration date as 1993, the car has value to potential Canadian purchasers as it can be imported into Canada under the 15 yr old rule. You may want to market it on Ebay.Ca

Good luck,

Last edited:
Thanks Julian, it might be worth driving the car over to my local DMV office to chat with the person who handles these types of cars. Selfishly I hope it doesn't sell and I can work out an arrangement myself. I have had a couple of fellows from Canada express interest and they did ask if I had the original bill of sale proving 1993 build date. Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If the engine is a "1967" it is NOT a Boss 302, the first Bosses were 1969. Could be a 67 block with Boss heads but I would make sure before you hang your hat on that as California is tough and does check dates, etc.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mike, It is important to be SURE what year the block is and it might be equally important what year the heads are depending on what the BAR referee believes which parts comprise the "year of engine manufacturer" If you have a 1969 Boss you will need everything that went onto a Boss engine as installed in California in 1969. I believe they had PCV valves, a special model carburetor, and maybe a smog pump. You will need the OEM distributor as well, even the air filter housing and exhaust manifolds. Basically you can't change anything except to replace with OEM equipment or smog approved (for that motor) aftermarket equipment like a Edelbrock intake manifold.

You can be SURE however that the BAR ref WILL be able to figure out what year the engine is beginning with the block.

The engine must have ALL of the original (OEM) smog equipment installed and serviceable when you take it in to the BAR guy when doing a non SB100 process. This even applies if you chose the year of the engine under SB100. Be aware that if you go the non-SB100 route you will need to get it smogged every two years also. This means it must be put back to the approved configuration for each smog check.

This is why the SB100 way is so useful, and one reason why it was enacted, to people who self construct/build/assemble their own car. When you present it to the BAR ref, under SB100, YOU get to designate either the year of the body or the year of the engine. Cobra and GT40s were built on the 64 and 65 model years and thus you simply pick the body year and walla there was no smog equipment then so you don't have to use ANY.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I can't believe even to get an SB100 it is such an involved process in CA. Here in NV it was literally a case of "What is it a replica of sir? repyy, "a 1965 GT40" "okay, sign this form and I just need to check the VIN, where is it"

Went inside paid the $65 registration fee, chose my plate (65 GT40) and I'm legal.

I think it seems pretty straight forward from the CA DMV website:

California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Out-of-State Vehicle (Nonresident Vehicle)

This car was previously registered as a 1993. It should meet 1993 smog, no? If you are able to get it reclassified as Specialty Construction, then SB100 is the only way:

Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

Otherwise, CA would have a flood of incoming "used" kit cars circummventing the rules and SB100 wouldn't be such a hassle (it probably wouldn't exist).

I thought anything pre-1975 was smog exempt?

yes, but the car wasn't built pre 1975. It was first registered in 1993 and the MCO is probably 1990+.

If you want to try to get it registered as a pre 1975, for Specialty Construction Vehicles then it is via the SB100 process.

Thanks Mike. We'll see how it goes. If I can find a way, I may buy it myself. This car is more fun than any of my previous cars, especially after we just had the Webers smoothed out.

I meant financially and was not referring to the registration process. If the owner of the car is successful getting his title amended, then I would try to "find a way" to buy the car myself. I would never try to bend the rules or pull a fast one with registration, not worth the risk to me. You have to be able to enjoy the car and not always looking over your shoulder, not my style. I cna't imagine it's possible so I expect the car will sell to someone outside of CA, perhaps Canada or Europe unless we find a CA buyer who only intends to track the car and it would be an ideal track car.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If as reported on the sister SB100 thread there are still around 100 SB100 numbers left, then why not just take it a local DMV and try and register it in CA? If you are successful it is going to be easier to find a buyer in CA without the continued question of legality lingering.

Mike,

Be careful about such statements, Mr. Morgester of the Ca. AG's office is on ClubCobra and probably lurks here. See his posts on CC.

I understand Mark. What I mean is that I am an OR resident (having been one in CA before). I have a second house in CA now - due to my wife's family. I have cars in both states registered properly. OR is by far more easy to deal with than CA in all respects.

Back