California Registration SB100 information

Thanks for the link Howard.

I went down to the DMV today, well two actually, and got all my paperwork in order.

I first went to the Daly City office because there is usually far fewer people there, however, they didn't know what I was talking about and their manager "informed" me that they will only issue SB100s to running vehicles. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that office because their heads are shoved well into their arses.

I then went to the SF office and was informed they had several people that are familiar with the process and was told not to worry (knock on wood). Never thought I'd get a warm fuzzy feeling from the DMV but that is where I'll be at the crack-ass-of-dawn on the 4th.

edit:
After reading the info in that link more closely, I'll be back again tomorrow at the DMV to get the TIN...warm fuzzy feeling has faded.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

I went through this process this last Jan 2, I know this is some distance from you, but I did my SB100 in the Los Gatos Dmv, they were very knowledgable.

Tony who is the boss there is a car guy and very good to work with.

They came out early on the 2nd before they opened and went over our paperwork so right at 8:00AM we were ready (no wasted time). they even had a separate line for us sb100 guys!

I should add that Steve's (PANAVIA) post is excellent, there is another excellent thread on Club Cobra that also covers the entire process concisely, in a macro way, including the CHP, B&L and BAR visits. I'll try to find it.

Got my TIN today from the SF office and the manager with whom I was dealing with allowed me to pay taxes on only a fraction of the purchase price of the roller with no engine or trans for the car. Of course the remainder of the taxes, as well as addtional fees etc. on the car will be due at the time of official registration as will the taxes on the engine and trans.

The manager also informed me they will separate the SB100 guys from the common folk and go through our paper work ahead of time to make sure everything is in order.

The guy I talked to yesterday was unaware of the fact the TIN and taxes/fees could be paid in advance. Fortunately, today I didn't deal with him and got lucky with a manager who knew the process.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave's experience illustrates the real issue with the SB100 process. It is in your interest to find a office and an employee, usually the manager that understands the process and will help you. It is very important to do this well in advance, something like the middle of the previous year if you are just getting started or at least the first week in November if you think you have it all together and are ready to go.

Either way, to review your work or to begin the journey, take what you have around to the local DMV's and see what they say. Take the time to see what a couple of offices know, make sure they have a plan for SB100 day and can look at your paperwork and tell you what you need to do. If you live in the sticks then I recommend you go to the big city office 's like the Santa Clara, Sacramento, or Pleasanton offices in norther California. I am not familiar with the rest of the state so you will need to do your own homework.

The one thing you can do throughout the build is carefully collect all the receipts and other paperwork such as bill of sale and file it all neatly away. I have a big 3 ring binder for my SLC.

Lastly do whatever you must do to be the first in line on SB100 day. They will form a line and keep track of who was first at the big city DMV's that know what they are doing. The office manager's then call in to the Sacramento office and lets them know how many SB100 people are there. The Sacramento bosses will try to make sure that every DMV that has SB100 people gets at least some. Therefor if you are 1st in line at a DMV that you already know, because you did your homework, has their act together you will get a SB100 number IF you have COMPLETE AND CORRECT paperwork. Showing up at 8am won't cut it. I was there at 4:30am and the second guy got there at 5:am. Remember, there are only 500 issued each year state wide.

Don't forget your drivers licence and checkbook. Happy SB100 day! Let us know how it went.

I am under the impression that an SB100 exemption is not necessary if your 'kit car' has a pre-smog engine; that is, it is possible to register the car in the 'traditional' kit car manner without jumping through nearly as many hoops.

But I definitely do not know this for a fact--it's an assumption on my part.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

I am under the impression that an SB100 exemption is not necessary if your 'kit car' has a pre-smog engine; that is, it is possible to register the car in the 'traditional' kit car manner without jumping through nearly as many hoops.

But I definitely do not know this for a fact--it's an assumption on my part.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

No. The SB100 process is the only method to get a specially constructed vehicle registered and smogged in CA. In the past (2008 and prior), the BAR referee would ask you whether you wanted to smog according to the "the model year that your car replicates" or "year of the engine". In 2009, the latter was eliminated. It now doesn't matter whether you have a 1964 engine or a brand new aluminum crate engine any more.

Okay, cool, thanks.

Here's another question. What happens if you move to CA from another state, and bring your kit cars with you? What provisions are there for transferring registration from another state to California?

Does anybody know?

All very interesting - After reading the Cobra site ... I decided to go and TIN myself at Santa Clara. Of course when I got to the information starter guy he said. "We don't do TIN, ~ see you Monday morning". He tried to reassure me with "We are the #1 SB100 office". He was very nice, but he was not going to let me get my paper work started on Thursday.

What time should I get in line at the DMV on Monday? 3am? 6am? ...

Someone told me that last year 30 people were in line and only the first nine got SB100 numbers. Could that be true?

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yes it could be, but not last year. Last year, 2009, they still had a few dozen left at the close of business. It took a several weeks to finish the rest off.

Whats the real difference between 3 and 6am. Three hours, What the difference if you don't get one because you slept in and the guy in front of you got the last one. 1 year

How bad do you want one?

I know my own area well enough to be comfortable with 4:30 am when I did mine. I was 1st in line and I got mine. #454 out of 500 that year with 14 other SB100 people at the DMV I was at and we all got one. They were gone buy 11am and that was with a 2 hour hold because of a "computer problem is Sacramento". 2007 I believe.

Go figure.

According to a 2-3 people on the Club Cobra site, they still got SB100 numbers as late as July-August-September of last year.

However, this year (2010), there's an amnesty program, one year only, which owners of cars illegally registered as 1965's (or what have you) in the case of a replica Cobra, must get them into compliance with CA and they will be using the same 500 SB100 allotments along with the owners of newly purchased SPCNS (specially constructed vehicles) cars. So, who knows how many will go the first day.

I got to Santa Clara at 5:00 AM in January 2008 and got one. I was first in line. They ran out around 10:30 AM. An experienced DMV will make the call to Sacramento for everyone in line all at the same time. So if you have 20 people in line, that one call from the DMV clerk will cover all 20 people in line with 20 SB 100 numbers.

Okay, cool, thanks.

Here's another question. What happens if you move to CA from another state, and bring your kit cars with you? What provisions are there for transferring registration from another state to California?

Does anybody know?

As along as you have a legal title from another State, you will have to go through the same SB100 process, although technically it's under the heading of AB1578 not SB100. Basically the same, except that AB1578 handles SPCNS cars with existing legal titles from different States coming into CA. SB100 is for new titles in CA.

Thanks Rod.

Do they keep you in the order that you arrived?

Yes, but the DMV clerks occasionally make a mistake or two and they did with me. They will distribute numbers in the order you arrived.

Unfortunately, in my case, they mixed up my paperwork with a new GT40 owner at the Santa Clara DMV and I got my number out of order and also went through an awful process over several weeks with the DMV, since my number and paperwork went to the GT40 owner's address and his number and paperwork went to my home. A very long story documented on the Club Cobra Forum back in January 2008. Essentially, once the SB100 certificate is created, it takes an act of G-d to make a modification.

Bottom line: Always check you paperwork in its entirety BEFORE you leave the clerk on January 4th. I thought I did, but didn't.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
According to a 2-3 people on the Club Cobra site, they still got SB100 numbers as late as July-August-September of last year.

However, this year (2010), there's an amnesty program, one year only, which owners of cars illegally registered as 1965's (or what have you) in the case of a replica Cobra, must get them into compliance with CA and they will be using the same 500 SB100 allotments along with the owners of newly purchased SPCNS (specially constructed vehicles) cars. So, who knows how many will go the first day.

I assume there will be a number of out of state sales, owners/cars leaving CA during the year so presumably a few SB100's would be relinquished back into the system or doesn't it work like that?

If I had a car registerd as a 1965 frow hat I'm reading here I'm damn sure it would be staying that way..

As along as you have a legal title from another State, you will have to go through the same SB100 process, although technically it's under the heading of AB1578 not SB100. Basically the same, except that AB1578 handles SPCNS cars with existing legal titles from different States coming into CA. SB100 is for new titles in CA.

So does that still come out of the 500 annual SB100 allocation i.e. do you have to 'move' to CA on Jan 1?

I assume there will be a number of out of state sales, owners/cars leaving CA during the year so presumably a few SB100's would be relinquished back into the system or doesn't it work like that?

If I had a car registerd as a 1965 frow hat I'm reading here I'm damn sure it would be staying that way..

So does that still come out of the 500 annual SB100 allocation i.e. do you have to 'move' to CA on Jan 1?

First, SB100 numbers are not relinquished back into the system. If a car leaves the State and is registered in another State, then that SB100 number is gone. Also, unused numbers do not rollover to the next year. If that same car comes back to CA, then it will have to go through the SB100 process again.

Second, if you have a replica, of a Cobra for example, and it's not registered under SB100 and it is illegally registered as a 1965 or whatever year, then you will need to get in line and get an SB100 number in 2010, and 2010 only. The amnesty expires at the end of 2010. Otherwise, the CA AG's office will find "you" and prosecute you to the full extent of the law. Someone from the CA AG's office posts on the Club Cobra Forum under the moniker of "Morgester." See his posts, if you do not believe me.

Last, you can move to CA anytime. Once you get here you will need to apply for an SB100 number to get your replica registered here. If you get here and all 500 numbers are gone, then you will have to wait until the following January to complete your registration. You may start your incomplete registration anytime during the year and get TOP's (temporary operating permits) to get to the CHP, BAR and B&L inspection station as well as drive around the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Back