Importing Completed Car to USA

Hi - I'm looking to get some up-to-date information on legally importing a completed car to the USA, please. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wonder if some of the old pathways may now be outdated?

Is it still legal to import a rolling chassis (i.e. engine and transmission removed) as "car parts" or "assemblage of car parts"? I am under the impression this method of entry means no DOT/EPA compliance is necessary at customs.

Are there shipping companies that specialize in this sort of import and are familiar with it?

Thanks!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You might try Martin Button at Cosdel International; they ship race cars etc all over the world, and also handle shipping for some of the bigger sales agents such as RM and Gooding. I know that I didn't have any difficulty with the international travel on mine, but it was just a chassis at that point, and not even finished.

Jimbo,
I had no problem importing mine from Australia. the only thing you want to remember is to have the car shipped WITHOUT the motor and trans in the car. If you do it has to meet DOT standards for the year of purchase. That means air bags and 5 mph bumpers etc. You can ship the motor/trans in the same container. It is then listed as "car parts" etc. If it comes in with the motor and trans in place you have two options, neither is pleaasant. One is you have it shipped out of the country remove the engine and trans and reimport it. The second is on the declarations page where you tell what the purpose of the import is. Diplomat, Armed servicees, temporary stay etc. The last choice on this page is the designation of "Race Car". You then have to assure "them" that it will be for exhibition, off road, or event. It can not be lisenced to be on the road without "their" permission. or consent. Other wise they can seize it and sell it at auction.
What you have to remember is, that one branch of the government doesn't communicate with the other. The guy I bought mine from had the motor trans in place but had not finished building the car. basicly a rolling chassie. I asked him to remove the engine and trans and have them in the same container. I also asked him to put a few race decals on the car, as I was going to paint the car anyway and if push came to shove and I had to, it would be covered. It took over a month to get it to the U S and in mid shipment he told me he had not removed the engine and trans. So I imported it as a race car. You don't want to know the rest of the story.
The purpose of this is for taxes. They have to have a way of assessing the imports so as to tax them accordingly. You just have to list the "parts" and have an assigned value for them. It doesn't have to be the actual value, but don't low ball it too bad or they might call you on it. Mine had a box of spare stuff he just wanted to clear out of his garage, so I had to make up a value for it. Most of the things I didn't know were in the box, so I said there were certain parts that I knew aboout and the rest were "associated parts". and said it was worth about $100. You then send them a check for what ever they decide the taxes are. You will probably rack up some storage fees and inspection fees that are additional. Any good importer should be able to help you out. I can dig up the papers if you need any further help.

Bill

Thanks all. Regarding the disassembly route, there seem to be conflicting rules from the DOT and EPA. For the DOT this seems to be fine, but for the EPA it seems a no-no.

I did this two years ago bringing my CAV in from South Africa. As Bill suggested the only way is removal of the engine and transmission (assuming you want to bring it out of the garage). I shipped in the same container under the designation car parts.

Registration varies from state to state but I had relatively little problem here in TX after a few conversations with some helpful people.

best of luck

Steve R, were you abel to get it on the road in Texas? I guess you could call it a 1968 and get around emmisions? I'm here in Dallas but have a RCR Superlight and i'm a little concerned about the emmissions inspection

Back