IVA - Ignition Switches and Immobilisers

Here’s a question for the Brits who have enjoyed IVA (and SVA as there isn’t too much difference).
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
My GDT70 build has now started and, while a long way from IVA, I will fairly soon be in a position to fit switchgear on the dash. This question is about IVA compliance regarding protrusions into the cabin. The key fact is that I will not have a windscreen or any sort of weather gear.
<o:p> </o:p>
I plan to use IVA compliant gauges and those nice flush fitting aluminium push switches wherever possible. I’ll use IVA compliant warning lights too. Easy (he says!).
My question is this: How have you chaps dealt with the need for an ignition switch?
The reason I ask is that the protruding key is never going to meet the minimum radius requirements or maximum protrusion limitations. I realise I could try to hide it in a corner, but with no screen (which means a 4” impact ball will be used inside the cabin I think) it is still likely to be impactable. It isn’t clear to me if the area behind the steering wheel is exempt or not when no screen is fitted. Can anyone help me out on that bit? Are there any SVA friendly dash mounted ignition switches out there?
Also, for those that have done IVA instead of SVA, where an immobiliser (other than a battery cut off) is required, how have you dealt with that? Have you had Cat II immobilisers fitted and is that easy to do when you don’t really want someone else messing around with your hard work in fitting the loom…….?
Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.
Regards.
Paul

I should have added that those little aluminium loops you can get to go next to toggle switches (to keep the tester’s spheres away - pardon the expression….) look great and could be used around an ignition switch. However, I’m sure that the IVA manual says that anything protruding from the dash more than a really small amount (could be 10mm?) has to be retractable or able to be broken off by a really small force - which they surely wouldn’t be???
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Perhaps I am just reading too much difficulty into this…..
Please help!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
PAul

From memory
Anything fitted within a 12cm area either side of the steering wheel is "free"
I used Lucas switches within this area and mine passed SVA no problem

So mount your ignition key within this area and again no test on it

I have also seen some immobilisers on evil bay which have a small piece of printed circuit board that fits into a slot on the dash Remove the circuit board and break any number of connections.
These come with a small length of bath chain which you attahc to your key ring - each time you remove the key you pull put the circuit board out and the imobiliser is on

Ian

Hi Ian,

What worries me is that I'm told that when there is no windscreen, there is no exemption area AND the smaller impact ball is used......

Perhaps the area directly behind the wheel is still exempt - in which case no problem?

Good gen on the immobiliser, but I thought that it would have to be Thatcham approved and therefore fitted by an approved installer?

Cheers.

Paul

Paul, See attached for exempt area, Section 12 doesn't seem to specify the need for a windscreen. BTW the projection is 3.2mm for normal fittings. The switch statement is below, I would go the loop route for the test like a Mini:

<TABLE dir=ltr borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=7 width=539 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=0>

All switches, control knobs etc which are mounted on the instrument panel which are within the "specified zone", contactable by a 165mm diameter. Sphere and protrude from the instrument panel by more than 9.5mm must be likely to retract or detach with no sharp edges when subject to an impact of 40kgf (see Note 5)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

On the immobiliser, I hear the cut off switch with removable key is sufficient. If you had a MSD control, they also have a function that you can kill the spark, just use a key switch instead of a toggle.

Brett

Attachments

• Steering exempt.jpg
    Steering exempt.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 557
From the latest issue of Kit Car: "...it is a requirement for all kit cars to be fitted with some type of anti theft device in addition to the ignition key. This can be mechanical or electronic, but a battery isolation switch or removable steering wheel is not acceptable. If you have a steering column lock which is activated once you remove the ignition key, you are home and dry. If your ignition key is directly on the dashboard, an additional device is required. This can be in the form of an electronic immobiliser but requires documentary evidence from your kit manufacturer or device installer to prove the point. Accepted installer certificates are VSIB and MESF.
Alarms are optional but, if one is fitted, you must present a Category 1 immobiliser certificate to the above standards."

Do mechanical immobilisers still count? I seem to rememeber people using KrookLocks etc for this section of the test.

Hi,

I'm sure Mick will confirm but as I understand it he gets a firm in to fit a certificated immobiliser.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for that guys.

Mick, do you have a firm you trust not to make a dogs bum of all of your hard work, then?

:)

Guys,

Thanks for all of your comments. Very helpful.

It looks like the best idea for the immobiliser is to get a Cat 2 one in there. I note that there are many reputable firms selling Cat 2 immobilisers for DIY fitment. Most of them come with an ‘installation certificate’. Do you think that certificate would be good enough for a) IVA (I believe so as I don’t think that there is a certification requirement - it just has to work for ‘Basic’/amateur built vehicles), and b) insurance, when/if I fit it myself? Perhaps an odd question, but the rules here are perhaps a little grey…….

For switches, I am still struggling…..

OK:There is an exempt area within the specified zone. It is not clear whether or not the 12cm extension to the steering wheel is valid for cars without windscreens. The manual doesn’t mention this, but I have been told that examiners believe it to be the case. Not a problem, I’ll just assume the limit of the steering wheel is my exempt zone. Also, it is unclear whether or not the tester will use the 4” ball inside (instead of the usual 6” ball) due to the lack of a windscreen - inside considered as part of the outside. But again, that shouldn’t be a problem.

I plan to use mainly flush fitting switches like these:

BILLET ALUMINIUM SWITCH HAZARD PBHL

Which are IVA compliant.

I’ll put the ignition key behind the wheel so that should be a problem solved. However, there will be the need for some toggle switches for things like the indicators. I’ll use the loops mentioned above to protect them. But, surely they will protrude more than 9.5mm and therefore need to be able to be broken off without leaving sharp edges (if not in the exempt zone….) which they won’t???

I think the answer is to not to put any switches that aren’t flush fitting anywhere aside from behind the wheel….

I suppose this could be more difficult - if the manual were written in Cantonese, for example……

:eek:

Paul

Paul, I too am going with those switches and bought them all from the manufacturer who does Stoneleigh each year. He will alter the LEDs to different colours (where allowed) as long as he has them. He also said there is a way of wiring them up with different resistor on different pins (i think) values so they are iluminated dimly at night and higher intensity when 'active'. he took my email to pass on details but never did but i have his details so will be chacing once I have decided on the dials i am going with.

I’ll use the loops mentioned above to protect them. But, surely they will protrude more than 9.5mm and therefore need to be able to be broken off without leaving sharp edges (if not in the exempt zone….) which they won’t???

Some days I thank Ford for training me up as an auditor in the days gone :thumbsup:

Paul the key piece is to read the text very carefully. I know its easy to scan read and misinterpret things. The passage in question states:
<TABLE dir=ltr borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=7 width=539 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=0>

All switches, control knobs etc which are mounted on the instrument panel which are within the "specified zone", contactable by a 165mm diameter. Sphere and protrude from the instrument panel by more than 9.5mm must be likely to retract or detach with no sharp edges when subject to an impact of 40kgf
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The key piece here to focus on is phrase contactable by a 165mm diameter sphere AND protrude blah blah

Therefore if you make your loops so that the sphere can not contact them then you won't have to get them to do the impact test. :speechless:

On the windscreen. Best thing to do is to write to VOSA, get the response and file it for your safe keeping and then ensure you have it with you at the test. That way you will be able to plan your cabin effectively and have the necessary back-up if/when challenged.

Brett

Back